why does this all seem so complicated and difficult?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
CAPTAINFRED

why does this all seem so complicated and difficult?

Post by CAPTAINFRED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Excuse for being such a newcomer, but this program is frustrating me. All I want to do is stick a cd in the drive and rip it to mp3. Simple, right? I'm not getting any of the disc, track, artist, song, album, etc information. As far as I can tell I've followed all the instructions correctly and it should be working. I guess I'm just spoiled by Apple software that doesn't require me to be a freaking computer scientist to make it work. So what the hell is the problem?

krmathis

Re: why does this all seem so complicated and difficult?

Post by krmathis » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Expecting too much maybe?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 am

What have you tried? Ripping to MP3 should require very few steps:
  • Set and select MP3 as an output format in the Formats preferences
  • Insert your disc, and get metadata from MusicBrainz (or iTunes with AppleScript)
  • Rip it
If you are not getting metadata for a specific disc from MusicBrainz, this isn't a Max bug. The MB database is not as complete as Gracenote, since it is a free service.

bnation

Post by bnation » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:01 pm

sbooth wrote:
If you are not getting metadata for a specific disc from MusicBrainz, this isn't a Max bug. The MB database is not as complete as Gracenote, since it is a free service.
Aaah... this probably explains why Max won't grab the metadata but XLD will. Can Max not access CDDB? A licensing issue? What about freedb?

I much prefer using Max to convert my cd's to flac but when it doesn't fill in metadata fields for me I have to switch to XLD.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:07 pm

bnation, have you tried the Applescript that copies metadata from iTunes to Max? It really does work very well.

bnation

Post by bnation » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't know how to work with Applescripts. I copied the script and saved it as "get data.scpt" in my documents folder. But I don't know how to get it to work when needed. A little hand-holding here would sure help.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm guessing that you may not have used the program Script Editor to save the document you created? Try copying and pasting the script into a new Script Editor document, and save it under a more distinctive name (mine's called "iTunes metadata to Max"). Your script should start with the line:

tell application "iTunes"

And end with the line:

end tell

Once that's done, insert the CD, get it mounted, let iTunes fetch the track names. Then open Max and let it analyze the CD and create a blank document for it (which, frustratingly, can take close to a minute on my system).

Once Max is ready, go back to Script Editor, hit the Run button (which looks like a play button), and everything ought to happen automatically from then on. If something doesn't work, let us know what, and someone can try to help.

A bit OT, but: Applescripts can save you a ridiculous amount of time. I use them heavily for helping to clean up my MP3 collection, doing things like capitalizing albums where all the track names are in lowercase, or assigning track numbers automatically based on filename prefixes. You can even, with a little knowhow, copy a tracklist from a website and automatically assign ID3 tags to an untagged album (Track01.mp3, etc.). It's great!

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Well, this is a really complicated way to use the script. No need to use Script Editor. The script "Get iTunes Metadata" is provided as application with the latest release version of Max. Just double-click the script application to run it.

I think it is also possible make the script appear in a Scripts menu in Max, but I am not sure how that is done.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:11 pm

RonaldPR wrote:I think it is also possible make the script appear in a Scripts menu in Max, but I am not sure how that is done.
In AppleScript Utility (in /Applications/AppleScript/) check "Show Script menu in menu bar". The Script menu icon will be added to the icons on right side of the menu bar.

Place the "Get iTunes Metadata" script in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Max/ (create the Max folder if not yet present)

You can now execute the script directly in Max from the Script menu.