WavPack decoding = no workey

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Lenny

WavPack decoding = no workey

Post by Lenny » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:38 am

First of all, here's a funny story. Today, I decided I wanted to rip cd's to wavpack files on my mac. So I found, downloaded, installed, and loved Max. Then I needed something to play those files with, so I did the same with Cog. Then I needed something to edit the tags of the files I messed up on so I did the same with Tag. Now I felt really good about myself after finding three great programs in a short amount of time. I then encountered the problem which I am about to discuss so I came to the Max forums. I saw the icons for all three applications, and after doublechecking the icons in my dock, discovered that all three applications are related somehow!

Anyway, so I've got all of these wavpack files sitting on my hard drive and I wanted to convert them to mp3. After doing so I had mp3 files with crazy phased out distortion. Not knowing if the problem was with the mp3 encoder, the wavpack decoder, or something else, I did these tests:

cd -> wavpack = good
wavpack -> mp3 = bad
wavpack -> wav = bad
cd -> mp3 = good
mp3 -> wavpack = good

My tests didn't get any more extensive than that, but it seems to me that wavpack decoding is buggy.

Comments anyone?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: WavPack decoding = no workey

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Lenny wrote:Anyway, so I've got all of these wavpack files sitting on my hard drive and I wanted to convert them to mp3. After doing so I had mp3 files with crazy phased out distortion. Not knowing if the problem was with the mp3 encoder, the wavpack decoder, or something else, I did these tests:

cd -> wavpack = good
wavpack -> mp3 = bad
wavpack -> wav = bad
cd -> mp3 = good
mp3 -> wavpack = good

My tests didn't get any more extensive than that, but it seems to me that wavpack decoding is buggy.

Comments anyone?
A bug was discovered in 0.6.1's handling of WavPack files on conversion. The bug you describe is one that I fixed.

Using the latest svn version, I did a test on my machine (PowerBook G4) where I took a FLAC file (16-bit generated from a CD), converted it to WavPack, and then converted the resulting WavPack file to an MP3. I didn't have any issues- the MP3 file sounded just fine.

Would you be able to compile from svn and see if this problem recurs?

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Good to hear it's already fixed! I don't have svn setup on my computer (never have actually). I had cvs on my windows box once, but basically it's over my head.

Thanks for the response though. I can wait for a 0.6.2 if need be. Great program.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:48 pm

Lenny wrote:Good to hear it's already fixed! I don't have svn setup on my computer (never have actually). I had cvs on my windows box once, but basically it's over my head.
Let me know if you need a beta version- I will send one to you.

loeram

having same problem...

Post by loeram » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 am

Hello...I, too, am having wavpack conversion problems...what is the best suggestion to get around this problem...I have been trying to convert to wav, aiff, even mp3...but the sound is distorted...it sounds like a bitrate or sampling rate conflict...is this the case?

Thanks for the help, in advance....