How to make file names -> title ?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
memphiskat

How to make file names -> title ?

Post by memphiskat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Hello

I am using MAX to convert FLACs to ALAC. A lot of my flac files have no metadata. The individual songs have files names
like "gd91-09-10d1t1", "gd91-09-10d1t2" but when I convert, the resulting tracks titles are "unknown track1", unknown track1" ect.
Is there a way to automatically have the file names become the song titles for those flacs that don't have this info already in the metadata?

Sorry to add two questions right in a row, but since they are completely different, I thought it would be better to split them into two posts.

THanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: How to make file names -> title ?

Post by sbooth » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Max can't do this, but Tag can guess tags based on the filename.

memphiskat

Post by memphiskat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks, I'll give tag a look

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 am

Hmm, I'm having the same problem. Using Tag will work for incoming filetypes like FLAC that support metadata, but not for those that don't. It sounds like there's no way to tell Max to use the incoming filename as the default title/filename for the converted file, and this is a real problem. For example, when you're converting SHN to MP3, either you get confusing clusters of unknown files that need manual repair, or you have to manually type in metadata in advance. That's a lot of wasted time.

Adding this as a feature/code change would really be ideal, but if that's not likely to happen soon, is a workaround possible with Applescript? Or am I overlooking something?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:41 am

Did you try using a custom file naming format and selecting the "Source Filename" specifier? That should get you close.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:01 am

D'oh! My apologies for overlooking that -- thanks for pointing it out. It certainly sounds like that should do the trick -- once you've got an MP3 with the right filename, it's easy enough to generate a title tag.