An error occured adding the file to itunes library

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
matsbox01

An error occured adding the file to itunes library

Post by matsbox01 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi

I am new to using Max. I have version 6.1 and am getting the following error for evry track I am trying to rip. This is an example from one song. have checked the following options in the preferences section

"Use itune compatibility mode" and "add encoded files to the itunes library options".

How do I eliminate this issue?

iTunes got an error: alias "SEA_DISC:Music:new music:Eric Clapton:Unplugged:12 Malted Milk.mp3" doesn't understand the add message.

Also, what is the best encoding filter to use with M#P3 assuming they files will be used across systems (mac and windoows) and may not always be used in itunes?

Many thanks

MAtt

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Does this happen to be a shared iTunes library or a library on an external or network drive?

matsbox01

Post by matsbox01 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:40 pm

its a library on an external seagate 500mb drive. does this make a difference? Also, what is the best encoding for mp3 files? I would like to use them on mac and windows and not just in itunes

thank you for the prompt reply. I really love this program

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:45 pm

matsbox01 wrote:its a library on an external seagate 500mb drive. does this make a difference? Also, what is the best encoding for mp3 files? I would like to use them on mac and windows and not just in itunes
For some reason Max has trouble working with files on external hard drives. I have no idea why this makes a difference. It's under investigation, though.

For the best encoding- it depends on your needs. Where you will listen to the audio, on what system, etc. For MP3 I personally use the "-V 2" settings which corresponds to the transparent MP3 default in Max.

matsbox01

Post by matsbox01 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:47 am

thank you for the prompt reply. Let me know if I can aide the investigation. I am trying to archive my cds. I will be listening to the files on my stereo hooked to my mini mac and on our ipods. Hope this helps

thanks again

Matt

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:07 pm

matsbox01 wrote:thank you for the prompt reply. Let me know if I can aide the investigation. I am trying to archive my cds. I will be listening to the files on my stereo hooked to my mini mac and on our ipods. Hope this helps
If you want to archive your CDs, I would recommend two libraries- one lossless archive (I recommend FLAC) for long-term storage and a lossy one for listening (typically MP3). This way, if your format needs change in the future you do not have to re-encode everything to avoid a quality loss when transcoding from lossy -> lossy.