Possible to convert .ram files to .wav or MP3's?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
nobledesign

Possible to convert .ram files to .wav or MP3's?

Post by nobledesign » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm having trouble getting downloaded .ram format files to convert to a format I can add to iMovie or QTPro animations. Is this even possible? or am I barking up trees that hold no cats? THANK YOU! :oops:

darkcore

Re: Possible to convert .ram files to .wav or MP3's?

Post by darkcore » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:03 pm

nobledesign wrote:I'm having trouble getting downloaded .ram format files to convert to a format I can add to iMovie or QTPro animations. Is this even possible? or am I barking up trees that hold no cats? THANK YOU! :oops:
Your best bet for that would be to download Audiohijack. It can grab audio from any application and it outputs in .aiff format i believe. from there you should be able to go from .aiff to .wav or .aiff to .mp3 without a hitch.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that for this to work you would be playing the files with RealPlayer and then you could use Audiohijack to capture the audio.
Last edited by darkcore on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

floatinglist

Post by floatinglist » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:13 pm

Warning: I've only transcoded RealAudio streams (and haven't tried transcoding the ram files yet). (The two should be the same.)

Search for
ffmpegX
mplayerosx

If you can play something with mplayer, then you can save it, too. And, if you can play something with mplayer (it's mencoder works), you can usually convert it with ffmpegX (which is a frontend for the mplayer command-line tools).

Basic:
1) Install mplayerosx or ffmpegX (ffmpegX requires you install a command-line mplayer, and gives directions)
2) Install RealPlayer
3) Copy RealPlayer codecs to a mplayer library directory[1]

[1] Some help: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 0184054216

I usually use ffmpegX to convert from odd formats to iMovie-friendly DV. (Transcoding to DV rather than something else is my way of lessening the quality loss at the expense of hard drive space)

nobledesign

Thank you my Rogue Friends

Post by nobledesign » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Audio Hijack did the trick beautifully on all fronts even though I can't understand a faction of the lingo jingo you experts use! I truly thank you for the great help! I'll pass it on!!