error: unable to create directory

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Fuga

error: unable to create directory

Post by Fuga » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I have used Max forever, in so many ways. My main use is FLAC > ALAC. Lately I have been using it essentially daily (as in 3 of 4 days, for a month). All of a sudden I get this error when I click Convert: unable to create directory.

Closest I can find related to my issue is this forums thread. The output directory is indeed an external drive, the same I have used for years and that is otherwise operating perfectly. To be clear it is an external drive connected to my AirportExtreme on my home network. I have had this setup for years and until this morning never a real problem.

I have rebooted everything. I have changed settings (encoders and output locations and files to convert being located all sorts of places).

Any ideas?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: error: unable to create directory

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 am

Is there a weird character in the directory's name that Max is trying to create?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 am

sbooth wrote:Is there a weird character in the directory's name that Max is trying to create?
Not at all. Same directory I've used for years. I have reset it more than once in Output prefs since these troubles began.

Now should you really want to scratch your head ...

I replaced all the plist files from a TimeMachine backup more than a month old. Same error. Same files that "used to work." Trashing all plist files and setting Max up fresh with the exact same settings worked and I am back in business. Note: not a fresh install of all things Max, just the .plist files.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 am

Spoke too soon. Tests were fine. Now not so much. Something about these particular files.

Even the files that "tested fine" - with the clean .plist files - now give the error.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 am

And now I am officially losing my mind. I again trashed the .plist file (only one because it has been that soon since starting afresh). Rest all the pref choices. All is good, processing 36 files as we speak. And, yes, same files as balked before. Grrrr.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 am

Strange.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 am

Just processed some more. Rebooting just for the grins of it. Still good.

So, in the endearing words of immortal words of Emily Latella, Nevermind.