masterpiece Max, need help and advises, thanks!

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
mortem

masterpiece Max, need help and advises, thanks!

Post by mortem » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Hello,

Foremost, sorry my bad English and my long intro, thanks,..
I’m new here in the forum and would ask you for some help or advises. I plan to archive my CD-collection (ca. 500 CDs in different conditions) to hard disk and catalogue the accruing Lib to an offline catalog (using CDpedia). I started with CDpedia and other CD-catalog software with the goal to catalogue my collection only with a barcode scanner, without much success. Too much reoperation was needed. Therefore I went to the idea to not only to catalogue my collection but also archive them in different formats and use freedb instead of the barcode to identify the CDs.
Since 3 days I was nonstop looking for and trial rip-software and collecting information about ripping CDs on a mac, collecting knowledge about the different formats and tagging, and reading much at this board to collect information about ‘Max’. Now the time escapes and there is still so much gap in my knowledge. I’m not an absolute beginner but my knowledge was outdated when I started.
I tested many available mac CD-ripper, and come to the finding that ‘Max’ should be the masterpiece of the planned workflow. It ranked first because I have many very badly CDs, which make it necessary to exert influence on how the CD is ripped (Comparison Ripper/cdparanoia), but also for it powerfully tuning/tagging and batch possibilities. The second choice would be the application ‘CD Stack’, but it is too far from ‘Max’,…

My gear;
Mac mini 1.5Solo, intern and extern (Firewire) CD/DVD Rom, extern USB-HD.

My goal;
To rip my whole CD-collection on the best, fastest and comfortable way as possible. Not much babysitting and reoperations should be needed. The output should be at best quality and platform independently and well-established standards as possible (for use in car radio, mobile, portable, dvd-player, hifi …), without much testing and comparing the result. I do not have any personally preferences yet; therefore I would be thankfully for any advice that helps me to find my preferences quickly.

Output;
Lossless for archive reasons
Lame-mp3@190vbr for home hifi
MPEG4@96 for mobile and portable (including ipod)
These entire three formats should be putted in each own subdirectory; so to say the root dir should be the format name for each output format.
Mp3tag V1.x+2.x should be included and the album cover should be in tags and saved in the directory.

Current settings;
Outputpath: {fileFormat}/{albumArtist}/…
cdparanoia/Errorcor. on/ Full paranoia/20 retries
Save album art…

Unanswered questions until now;

m4a vs mp4; what should I prefer? My most hardware player (mobile, portable..) are non Apple gear, I guess I should prefer mp4 for that reason. Is the ipod supporting mp4 also, or only m4a? Is VBR a good option in conjunction with mpeg4?

Apple lossless vs FLAC; what should I prefer? I guess FLAC, to be most platforms independently. Who knows on what platform I will reedit my archive in some years. But I did not found many apps for mac to playback or edit FLAC, until now. How widespread is the ‘Apple lossless’ format compared to FLAC and what noticeable advantages has ‘Apple lossless’ compared to FLAC in short, if any?

Is Max tagging also in format version mp3tagV1.x? (my car radio and some other gear is only supporting mp3tagV1.x)

If I select ‘Generate a cue sheet’ in the Preferences, then only in the mp3 output for each song a cue sheet is generated. I thought that a cue sheet is good for to rebuild a CD as the original and therefore I expected a cue sheet with the FLAC-output, one file for each CD. But it has not happened. Why or did I misunderstanding something?

Because the current version of Max (0.81) is unfortunately not supporting the freedb anymore, I went for test purposes back to version 0.6.1, which is unfortunately on the other hand unstable. In this version was it possible to activate the logging for the ripping process. At the current version I did not found a possibility to activate this feature. Why, or where can I find this option?

My idea was for time saving reasons to rip all my CDs with the ‘Basic Ripper’ option, until some bad sectors would Max bring to display a ‘Read Error’ dialog, so that I could re-rip that relevant track with the paranoia option. Is this a good idea, or would there be a risk that the ‘Basic Ripper’ overlooks errors without some dialog message and therefore it would be wise to rip with the paranoia option from the very beginning?
I know, there are many personally preferences concerning the Rip-options, but what setting would you use by default, when you don’t know the conditions of your CDs but at the same you want to reduce the ripping process time?

Is in the current version 0.8.1 with the paranoia option still the ‘white noise’ bug, about I read much here at this board?

Is there a bug with the enclosed AppleScript, which should transfer metadata from iTunes to Max? I got always an error message “Can’t make date of <<class Trck>> 1 of …… into type reference”! Now I’m forced to pre-scan all my CDs with version 0.6.1 to connect to freedb and save the metadata and use it with version 0.8.1 for the rip-process. Its very circuitous but much better then to use the useless musicbrainz!

So, I hope I did not forgotten some important question so I can quick start my ripping process very soon. I’m would be very glad, if I get some hints, answers and advices from you and other people can benefit also from this exchange of information,…

neil.baldwin

Re: masterpiece Max, need help and advises, thanks!

Post by neil.baldwin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:48 am

Wow, that's a big question and I don't have time to fully read it now (off to work in a minute) but I will later to see if I can help. I've just recently done a similar process (though with about 2500 cds!).

I did notice the problem you're having with the iTunes Metadata Script. It's a common one and easily fixed. See this thread;

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 6936#p6936

neil.baldwin

Post by neil.baldwin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:38 am

Just working through your list;

M4A vs MP4
I'm not sure why you'd choose either. You say these would be for "mobile and portable" but why not use lower rate MP3's instead?

Apple Lossless vs FLAC
FLAC but that's a personal preference as I don't like proprietary closed formats, like Apple Lossless.

Max Tagging V1
Not sure.

Cue Sheet
Don't know as I don't use them.

Max 0.6.1 & freedb
The latest version of Max combined with the iTunes Metadata Script is how I ripped all of my library. Still had to make manual corrections to the tags but this was because of errors in the iTunes database, not a fault of Max.

Ripping Options
If you're ripping to FLAC, full paranoia mode. It's slow but it's the only way to be sure :)

White Noise Bug
I've never experienced it so can't comment.

Applescript Bug
Already sorted that for you :)

mortem

Post by mortem » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 am

Thank you for your respond and sorry form my delay. I was busy with reconsider the further proceeding (ripping/encoding/cataloging). Therefore I was forced to test additional software to find out what is possible and how it could be preceded with the best result.
I do attach great importance to the correct Meta data in the result, because I will organize much based on the Meta data later. As I could see, the quality of the result from gracenote or freedb is not always good nor do they matching among each other. Therefore rectification would be necessary, when the ripping process is done and all Meta data from my whole collection is present. Genre, spelling, UPPER/lower adjusting would be necessary…

My first idea to encode a bunch of formats on the fly at once when ripping would not be practicable. Better I encode only a lossless format, then edit all meta data and then generate all child formats like mp3/mp4, so that the edited meta data is passed thru to all the child formats.

Therefore I did test all ID-Tag software I could find. The result of my testing was very confusing and frightening. I guess I did download and testing about 20 different tools with which you can edit or view the tag-infos. The result was that each one of the software had a different problem to view or save the meta data, sometimes the ‘year’ is displayed, missing letters at the end of each field, cryptic field contents and other oddities with one and the same mp3 file but with different tools. Did I edit some field with one tool, and then reanalyze the result with the other taggers the result was very strange. I used different combinations of ID3Tag versions like 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 in or not in combination with version 1.1.
Now I ask me, what tool produces the most correct and intact Meta data? Still I’m very insecure but I will continue testing,..

Now some words to my old questions, feedback and some own test results;

M4A vs MP4
I'm not sure why you'd choose either. You say these would be for "mobile and portable" but why not use lower rate MP3's instead?

Because more and more devices support mp4 and I get many more files on these devices then with mp3. By now not many of my portable or mobile are supporting mp4 but I plan to replace them in near future with new gear. So it is very speculative what format should be chosen.

Apple Lossless vs FLAC
FLAC but that's a personal preference as I don't like proprietary closed formats, like Apple Lossless.

Yes I support that statement, but I had to fight with to many restrictions with FLAC on Mac in my test phase, so I did decide me to at least test ‘apple lossless’ …

Max Tagging V1
Not sure.

Max is tagging with V2.4 and V1.1

Cue Sheet
Don't know as I don't use them.

I did only read about that. I thought it would be great if I can rebuild the original CD based on theses Cue Sheets and the lossless encoded audio. But I do not have any knowledge about that.
So who can explain it for me in short and how could I realize it with ‘Max’? Any;)?

Max 0.6.1 & freedb
The latest version of Max combined with the iTunes Metadata Script is how I ripped all of my library. Still had to make manual corrections to the tags but this was because of errors in the iTunes database, not a fault of Max.

Yes, I did read that post and therefore I did copy the enclosed script into that given path. What I overlooked was, that the enclosed script is buggy, so I did now exchange the source code and its function now! Thanks for the hint.
But I would be anyhow happy if freedb is included again,..

Ripping Options
If you're ripping to FLAC, full paranoia mode. It's slow but it's the only way to be sure :)

What specific settings did you use? I haven't any clue at all.

Thank you,…