Help with Folder selection

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
jmesberg

Help with Folder selection

Post by jmesberg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 pm

I am a newbie with Max and am trying to do something which i think would be a common need. I am encoding all my ripped files as both mp3 and Apple Lossless. I want to put each mp3 file into one directory (folder) and each Lossless file into a different directory. Seems like an obvious thing to do (my goal is to have two different iTunes libraries (lossy and lossless) and its much easier to import into the libraries if the source directories are separate).

Can I get some help please?

Fuga

Re: Help with Folder selection

Post by Fuga » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:00 pm

In the Output prefs window you can do custom naming. One item is "fileFormat". Most times I am doing as you - ripping/encoding to multiple formats. Having the fileFormat puts things into a directory for the format. Be sure to put a "/" between items so as to make the directories.

For example, my usual string is
{fileFormat}/{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}/{trackTitle}
resulting in an initial folder for Format with subsequent folders for Artist, then Album, followed by Track.

An extra bit of info: You can use symlinks (not aliases) if formats are to go to different places. This is required as Max only allows you to define one top level Output location. In my case it is usually /Volumes/Library/Music (/Library is an external drive). From there it gets mixed up as my ALAC does indeed go to /Library/Music/MPEG4 Audio (Apple Lossless) but the other formats follow their symlinks to other locations (usually just AAC to my laptop's drive but sometimes the occasional MP3 to yet another directory for sharing).

jmesberg

Post by jmesberg » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Extremely helpful thank you. I'm not a coder, but those in the community that are working on Max need to improve the UI in this area -- how to do this should be intuitive and its not at all.

Thank you very much.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 pm

There are plans. Check the development tracker (very nice/easy setup). Add your $.02. One of my main wants has been making the whole process/GUI more flexible as just about every time I use Max I'm doing something different than the time before (yet just as likely something I have done at some time before. Check the tracker you'll see what's being suggested and followed up on.