Max Shuts Down When trying to convert shn folder

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
kbuzz

Max Shuts Down When trying to convert shn folder

Post by kbuzz » Sun May 11, 2008 3:21 pm

I have some shn files which my squeezebox player wont play so i figured i should convert them to flac. I can add the whole file via max but it shuts down when i add a whole folder and start to convert and then quits. Max will convert one song at a time, but that is really tedious. Is there any way to do a "batch" convert one folder at a time which say contains 10 tracks. Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max Shuts Down When trying to convert shn folder

Post by sbooth » Sun May 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Unfortunately the shorten decoder Max uses isn't thread safe, so it can only handle one file at a time. So currently there isn't any way around this unless you want to use the command line shorten client.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 am

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, but there appears to be a very easy workaround: in the prefs, just set the maximum # of encoders to 1. Problem solved, so far (knock on wood).

I'm guessing that'll give the OP what he needs, since it sounds like he was manually adding one file at a time: what a headache that would be!

(And for those of us who don't have multiprocessor Macs, there's no benefit to transcoding more than one file at once anyway, right?)

Will the SHN decoder be changed to a thread-safe one anytime soon?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 am

That is a low priority fix, so it isn't likely in the near (6-12 mos) future.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:10 am

Reviving a very old thread to say:

Hmmm, I was just converting from SHN to FLAC, and I get consistent crashes when I try to convert more than one SHN file consecutively -- even with the workaround I mentioned several years ago (!), i.e. setting the encoder to only work on 1 file at once.

Would a crash report be useful? I'm still on PPC/Tiger, so maybe it's not worth bothering...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 am

You're welcome to submit a crash report, but I don't have a PPC machine to test on and it's likely that future versions of Max will require 10.6, so it may not be worth your time.