Max .8 crashes when encoding

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
georgedamonkey

Max .8 crashes when encoding

Post by georgedamonkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:07 pm

I just upgraded to Max .8 this morning, and any time I try to rip a cd to FLAC, it crashes when it tries to encode a track.

.7 has been working fantastic for months. Any ideas what may be wrong?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max .8 crashes when encoding

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Did you delete the preferences before running 0.8? The FLAC settings changed in the new release.

georgedamonkey

Post by georgedamonkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 pm

nope. Wasn't aware I needed to. Where is the preferences file located?

georgedamonkey

Post by georgedamonkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 pm

I ended up downloading it off the site, and noticed the delete preferences file. The way I had installed it was accepting the update when I started it. There was no mention of needing to delete anything that came with that.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 pm

georgedamonkey wrote:nope. Wasn't aware I needed to. Where is the preferences file located?
I know this one's already sorted out, since you've posted again. But perhaps it's still worth answering that question.

It's in the Preferences directory (folder) in your Library. (By your Library, I mean your personal Library inside your Home, not the main Library).

That's worth knowing, because the same goes for most applications on OS X. If you have problems with any application, or if you want to re-set an application's preferences to the default, you can go in there, find the preference file, and drag it out onto the desktop. The application will then generate another preference file when you restart it. If, when you restart the program in question, the problem has gone away, you know you probably don't need to look further.

If you have a look in there, you'll find Max's file is called org.sbooth.Max.plist. Similarly, Firefox would be org.mozilla.firefox.plist and NetNewsWire com.ranchero.NetNewsWire.plist.

It's nice that Max's download has a script in the package to delete that file, but it's also useful to know what it's deleting and how the whole preferences set-up works, because it's potentially useful to know for troubleshooting problems with any application on OS X.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 pm

georgedamonkey wrote:...any time I try to rip a cd to FLAC, it crashes when it tries to encode a track.
georgedamonkey wrote:The way I had installed it was accepting the update when I started it. There was no mention of needing to delete anything that came with that.

Same thing happened to me. That's why I'm here: Looking for a solution. Found it in this thread. :idea:

A few days ago I opened Max, and was notified of an update. It did not say I needed to delete the pref file. I installed 0.8 and went ahead with converting some files. Then today I tried to rip a CD to FLAC & AAC, and Max crashed. Tried a different CD-same thing. :x
After reading this thread, I used the included script to delete the preference file, and Max is happily ripping away now. 8)