iTunes CDDB script fails everytime

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
neil.baldwin

iTunes CDDB script fails everytime

Post by neil.baldwin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi,

I followed the instructions in the post but I get this error everytime I try to run the script;

Can't get every <<clas trck>> of document 1 of application "Max"

I'm running 10.5.2, iTunes 7.6.1 and Max 0.8b.

I tried it in the stable release of Max which gets a different error (about not being able to write the year/date) but in any case I can't use that version of Max as it throws up an error dialogue at the end of (successfully) ripping a CD.

Neil

neil.baldwin

Re: iTunes CDDB script fails everytime

Post by neil.baldwin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:31 pm

OK, user error :D

I was trying to run the script from the desktop following one users post that said to save it anywhere as an Application Bundle.

Once I found the proper place to put the script;

~/(username)/Library/Scripts/Applications/Max

It runs perfectly from the script menu from within Max itself.

:)

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:35 pm

I am one who has posted a few times about these scripts. It runs fine as a standalone but to have it work from within Max's Scripts menu would be even easier. Trouble is, how to get the Scripts menu as the OP has mentioned?

neil.baldwin

Post by neil.baldwin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:14 am

Fuga wrote:I am one who has posted a few times about these scripts. It runs fine as a standalone but to have it work from within Max's Scripts menu would be even easier. Trouble is, how to get the Scripts menu as the OP has mentioned?
Here's what I did.

1) Select the script from the original post using the little "Select All" button (pretty handy that is!). Copy it (Command-C)
2) Open Script Editor (/Applications/Applescript/Script Editor.app)
3) Paste into the blank script (Command-V)
4) "Save As", file type "Script", whatever name you like. You need to save (or move) it into the correct place;

/users/(your account name)/Library/Scripts/Applications/Max/

Then in Max (you might have to relaunch Max), you should see a little black "S" shape in the right-hand side of the menu/status bar (where your battery, wifi etc. icons are). Click this and an Applescript menu will drop down. The script you just saved should appear at the bottom.

I think, instead of using the Script Editor in steps 2,3 & 4, you could paste the script into TextEdit but you'll have to set the format as plain text (Format->Make Plain Text) before you save it or TextEdit won't let you set the correct extension. Save it with the extension ".scpt" in the same place as described. I've not tried this though but it should work OK.

Hope that helps.

Neil

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Now I'm totally befuddled. While it works fine for me as a stand-alone app enacted by a hotkey, I would rather have it as you, from the Script menu from within Max. If you are inclined please give some thought to what I am doing wrong.

I have tried saving it as script, script/run only, script bundle, script bundle/run only.

I have tried saving all of these where you specify. I have also mimicked my iTunes scripts location which is ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts plus I have tried variations on these two themes/locations.

Max .8b
OS X 10.5.2

neil.baldwin

Post by neil.baldwin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Ah, I think I know what you might be missing.

Run the Applescript Utility - /Applications/AppleScript/Applescript Utility.app

Then tick the box that says "Show Script menu in menu bar"

Any help?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:38 pm

neil.baldwin wrote:Ah, I think I know what you might be missing.

Run the Applescript Utility - /Applications/AppleScript/Applescript Utility.app

Then tick the box that says "Show Script menu in menu bar"

Any help?
Yes! That was it. I had wondered when you said it would be on the right with the other menulets. I was thinking it'd be with the other menu bar items (on the left, where "app specific" scripts reside under the same icon - see iTunes). I'm not sure I'm going to want it always to be there (small screen). Besides the hotkey I have MaxMenus and Dragthing for mousing to a script. It became more a "WTH am I doing wrong thing." Thanks for the help. I had totally forgotten about all those scripts.

dlipofsky

Post by dlipofsky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:05 pm

I didn't see a reference to the original script, and it wasn't real easy to find. I think I did find it, here it is for everyone else's benefit.

http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 pm

The script is included in the download of the latest stable Max version 0.8.