Converting FLAC to AIFF-which AIFF? Core Audio or libsndfile

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
glevethan

Converting FLAC to AIFF-which AIFF? Core Audio or libsndfile

Post by glevethan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi
I am a new user to this program and forums. A simple question - I would like to convert downloaded FLAC files to AIFF files (the same resulting files I would get if I inserted a CD into my Mac). There are two choices for output formats - AIFF Core Audio OR AIFF (Apple/SGI0 libsndfile). Which one should I be using - I am assuming AIFF core audio? I have also chosen a bit rate of 16 - correct?

Will the converted files be IDENTICAL as if they were directly ripped from the original physical CD?

Lastly - why does the resulting file have an extension of AIF instead of AIFF? If I do a Get Info than the file is listed as AIFF however the extension is missing an f at the end.

Thanks
Gregg

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Converting FLAC to AIFF-which AIFF? Core Audio or libsnd

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:24 pm

glevethan wrote:I am a new user to this program and forums. A simple question - I would like to convert downloaded FLAC files to AIFF files (the same resulting files I would get if I inserted a CD into my Mac). There are two choices for output formats - AIFF Core Audio OR AIFF (Apple/SGI0 libsndfile). Which one should I be using - I am assuming AIFF core audio? I have also chosen a bit rate of 16 - correct?
It honestly doesn't matter which AIFF you use- the resulting files should be identical. Core Audio is slightly more user-friendly, because the progress meter is updated more efficiently. Sample size should be 16 if the files come from CDs.
Will the converted files be IDENTICAL as if they were directly ripped from the original physical CD?
They will be identical to the FLAC files- if you downloaded them from who-knows-where it depends on how they were created if they will be identical to the original CD.
Lastly - why does the resulting file have an extension of AIF instead of AIFF? If I do a Get Info than the file is listed as AIFF however the extension is missing an f at the end.
It's a minor technical reason why- Core Audio gives an array of extensions for a given file type, some of which are three digits and some of which are four. If there is more than one extension Max just uses the first one.

glevethan

Post by glevethan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Thanks for the reply - and thanks for working on this great program.

As a heads up for
"if you downloaded them from who-knows-where"
here is something I discovered yesterday (probably old news) on Macsurfer.com about an iTunes like store hosted in Russia (legal for now but who knows for how long) which is selling from a catalog of 500,000+ songs and the user can choose the type of compression (from a multitude of choices) ranging from MP3's in various bit rates all the way up to FLAC and various other non compressed formats. Prices are based on the compression scheme you choose - starting at about $1.10 per album up to $5 an album for uncompressed music (individual songs at .10). The site is: http://www.allofmp3.com - once again a LEGAL site (for now).

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:54 pm

glevethan wrote:As a heads up for
"if you downloaded them from who-knows-where"
here is something I discovered yesterday (probably old news) on Macsurfer.com about an iTunes like store hosted in Russia (legal for now but who knows for how long) which is selling from a catalog of 500,000+ songs and the user can choose the type of compression (from a multitude of choices) ranging from MP3's in various bit rates all the way up to FLAC and various other non compressed formats. Prices are based on the compression scheme you choose - starting at about $1.10 per album up to $5 an album for uncompressed music (individual songs at .10). The site is: http://www.allofmp3.com - once again a LEGAL site (for now).
It is legal if you live in Russia- if you don't the legality is questionable at best depending on the copyright laws in your country of residence.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/world ... nd&emc=rss for more information on the US perspective.