Max & 8.3 filenames

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
minim

Max & 8.3 filenames

Post by minim » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi - I did a search on this and couldn't find anything, so my apologies if this has already been addressed.

A few months back, while in Australia, I used Max to rip MP3s and a FLAC backup of each of my 500-odd CDs that I have in storage there. Which all went swimmingly and no problems - until my fiance moved all the MP3s across to a new disc which promptly corrupted most of them. We've replaced the disc and now have all the MP3s and the FLACs on the new disc attached to a Windows Server, BUT when I attach to the server, a heap of the filenames appear to have been truncated to 8.3 format. The files themselves seem to be fine, except when I go to use Max to convert the FLACs to MP3 (to replace the corrupted versions), Max doesn't recognise the .FLA extension as being FLAC, so at present I'm having to manually change the extensions to .flac for every file which had a too-long filename.

So, my question: Is there an easy way to get Max to recognise that these files ending in .FLA are actually the same as if they were ending in .FLAC? Or do I really need to keep manually adjusting these hundreds and hundreds of files?

Many thanks in advance.

RonaldPR

Re: Max & 8.3 filenames

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Use a batch file renamer. See for instance the freeware Name Mangler: http://www.manytricks.com/namemangler/

minim

Re: Max & 8.3 filenames

Post by minim » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks, RonaldPR - I hadn't realised that such a beastie existed. Unfortunately I'm not yet on Leopard (waiting for Pro Tools to approve it) but have found an older version which is working really well for batch-renaming of the files. Thanks!