Max nebie help

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
rydenfan

Max nebie help

Post by rydenfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey guys, I am brand new to the MAx software and to Slimserver so thanks for the help!! I have a couple of newbie questions.

1. Is there any way to tell that the FLAC I burned is a bit perfet copy of the cd? Or if it burns successfully does that automatically mean it is bit perfect? I just do not want to lose any sound quality. And should I be adjusting any of the FLAC settings or no?

2. Do I have to remember to download album art manually everytime or is there a way to tell MAX to do it?

3. On a few albums there have been album art in many different sizes. Is there a proper size to use?

4. If MAX does not find album art is there a way for me to manually add it?

Thanks again guys! Transitioning everything to digital is a daunting task for me, and I really appreciate the help.

Mike1

Re: Max nebie help

Post by Mike1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 pm

rydenfan wrote: 1. Is there any way to tell that the FLAC I burned is a bit perfet copy of the cd? Or if it burns successfully does that automatically mean it is bit perfect? I just do not want to lose any sound quality. And should I be adjusting any of the FLAC settings or no?
I'd assume the only guarantee you could have that the ripping and encoding of your FLAC is OK is if its checksum matched that got by somebody else, since, for example, your CD might be a bad pressing. However, I suspect the possibility of glitches is slight. But I'm no expert, and I'll pass on the first part of that question.

As to the second part of the question -- the default settings are fine. Some people might want, for example, to have a higher degree of compression, so that the resulting file is smaller, but that makes the encoding take longer. I'd go with the defaults.
2. Do I have to remember to download album art manually everytime or is there a way to tell MAX to do it?
Not that I know of.
3. On a few albums there have been album art in many different sizes. Is there a proper size to use?
Many people like to standardize on 300 x 300 pixels, but iTunes is currently offering images of 600 x 600 pixels (and even bigger in some cases), and I think there's a general move towards using larger artwork. If I can't get a 600 x 600 image from ITunes myself I generally use the largest I can get from Amazon or Walmart (usually, but not always, 500 x 500). And if that fails I sometimes use a Google Image search. Wikipedia has many rock albums: theirs tend to be a bit smaller (around 300 x 300).
4. If MAX does not find album art is there a way for me to manually add it?
Yes, via iTunes. Or you could use a third-party tool -- I and some others here use Media Rage. I don't think there are many, if any, other alternatives on OS X.
Thanks again guys! Transitioning everything to digital is a daunting task for me, and I really appreciate the help.
You're welcome.

EDIT: here's another source for Album Art:

http://albumart.org/

I got that via Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/339215/find-quali ... t-albumart

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Thank you so much for the help! I am not using iTunes, I am using SLimserver for my Transporter. Sorry for the total noob question, once I use a program and find the album art how do I attach it to either MAX or the Album?

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 am

rydenfan wrote:... once I use a program and find the album art how do I attach it to either MAX or the Album?
AFAIK, there's no way of manually importing artwork into Max, so you'd need to import it into the files after they'd been encoded.

You can use Media Rage for that.

If you don't want to buy additional software, you could use iTunes. (Here's how its done in iTunes.) Since you're not using iTunes as a player/library you could go into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music and drag the appropriate folder of songs out afterwards and put it in ~/Music/Slimserver (or wherever you keep the files for that).

That's about it on OS X: I only know of those two programs you can do it with. (However, I guess you'd be able to do it from the command line if you didn't mind installing an appropriate package and using Terminal.)

Or if you've got a Windows machine available, you could use, for example, MP3tag.