Clicks In Rips . . .

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
T.D.S.

Clicks In Rips . . .

Post by T.D.S. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:20 am

Using my PowerBook G4, I started to use Max 0.6 to backup my music collection for good, well, a problem occurred.

I played a song in iTunes and the track made an annoying click that was encoded into the song -- near the beginning. I played the same song using an old rip I made with iTunes 4.6 and the click was not there.

I was using the comparison ripper, error correction was checked (no idea if that was helping or not), data was set for 20 reads and I even had the paranoia option set for 100 tries until skipping over.

I examined the disc and there are not any heavy scratches in it -- in fact, it looks brand new. The log (which I no longer have, I found out about the click after I deleted the log) makes no mention of an error.

Could this be a SuperDrive problem? I have noticed that when making rips from discs in iTunes, there is a high rate of "clicking" and "popping". I migrated from PCs a year ago and that is the only thing horrendous I have noticed.

Max is a great, easy to use program and I wish it well!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:41 am

I don't think it is a drive problem- more likely there could be a small error on the disc. The comparison ripper does not detect errors- it just attempts to extract data as best it can from the disc.

If you are experiencing pops in files created using the comparison ripper, you might want to try the paranoia ripper and see if it helps.

T.D.S.

Post by T.D.S. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:39 am

I shall try it and report back!

borndevil

Post by borndevil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:35 am

sbooth wrote:The comparison ripper does not detect errors- it just attempts to extract data as best it can from the disc..
What do you mean? Will errors read in the same way all the times?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:05 am

borndevil wrote:
sbooth wrote:The comparison ripper does not detect errors- it just attempts to extract data as best it can from the disc..
What do you mean? Will errors read in the same way all the times?
The assumption behind the ripper is that errors will not be reported the same every time. In certain instances it appears they are- I've added C2 error detection to the comparison ripper in svn, which may alleviate some of the issues.