Encoding flac & ape files as separate tracks using cue sheet

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
benitox

Encoding flac & ape files as separate tracks using cue sheet

Post by benitox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 am

Max is great for converting from/to different file formats but I wish there was a manual with instructions for idiots like me!

I have a flac file with a separate cue sheet (named "CDImage.flac" and "CDImage.cue" respectively).
I can open the flac file with Max so it is visible in the File Conversion list.
I can open the cue sheet so it is visible in the CDImage.cue window and tick all the boxes next to the individual track names,
BUT how do I actually get Max to convert the audio data into separate track files in my chosen format???

Clicking the "Convert" button just writes one big file — how do I create an association between the Flac file and the cue sheet?

I get the same result when attempting to convert/split an ape file too...

PS: What is the meaning of the MCN field in the CDImage.cue window, and the purpose of the button entitled "Button"?

please excuse my ignorance,
yours hopefully!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Encoding flac & ape files as separate tracks using cue sheet

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:03 pm

It sounds like you are using version 0.7.1- please try the latest unstable for improved cue sheet support.

benitox

Post by benitox » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:53 am

sbooth wrote:It sounds like you are using version 0.7.1- please try the latest unstable for improved cue sheet support.
Thanks, I tried it with Max-r1328(v.8b) but as reported elsewhere, with an .ape file & cuesheet it only converts the first track correctly. Subsequent tracks, the percentage indicator goes straight past 100% and keeps going and the "time remaining" jumps to many thousands... It doesn't appear to stop precisely at the end of the next track but when I open the file that second or subsequent file actually includes the first track data in it.
This is with an .ape file, flac doesn't show individual tracks in the cue sheet window at all...

I do think some instructions would be helpful here.
I am assuming I'm using the right procedure by opening the .cue file in Max, with the .ape or flac file in the same folder with the same name... It might be useful if Max asked me to choose the correct data file to associate with the cue sheet. How does it know what to do if for example an .ape and a flac file of the same name are present in the folder with the cue sheet?

Thanks for your patience here...

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:03 pm

The correct way to open a file is sometimes tricky to find.

Double-click on a FLAC with embedded cue, and it opens for conversion. Open the same file with the 'Open' Menu item, and it opens a track information window. Drag it to the application icon, and... sorry, I forgot what happens in this case.

Imo, it would be nicer to have a more consistent behaviour. I mean: open the file using any of the allowed methods, and the file opens. If an embedded cue is detected in a file that allows it, display the track informaion window. Then, if whole file conversion is intended, could it not be handled by the normal 'Write in a single file' Preference ? Alternatively, if a cue is detected, display a dialog box asking if the file must be opened in the 'File conversion' window, or if a track info window is preferred. Would doing so not make it easier to discover The Right Way ?