0.6 wont read CD TOC - SOLVED

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
volvoguy

Re: Work-around

Post by volvoguy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:44 pm

heavyboots wrote:EDIT OF THE EDIT: Okay, I think I got it to work on my machine. As near as I can tell, the winning solution was to uninstall the Unsanity aped in System Prefs. It's an old version, so maybe newer ones would work better, but I didn't actually have any Unsanity stuff running anymore, so I'm leaving it off to be safe! :D
Is that your final answer? :wink:

The Unsanity stuff may have been causing your problems, but I've never had them installed. In fact I reformatted/reinstalled OS X a few days before the new Max came out, so I can't imagine there's an application conflict.

One thing I did notice that I never did before... If I turn on "always show extensions" in the Finder, audio CDs are displayed as data discs with AIFF files on them. I'm pretty sure that's not part of the Red Book standard, so something isn't right. Broken or Apple just being goofy, I'm not sure.
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:54 am

volvoguy wrote:One thing I did notice that I never did before... If I turn on "always show extensions" in the Finder, audio CDs are displayed as data discs with AIFF files on them. I'm pretty sure that's not part of the Red Book standard, so something isn't right. Broken or Apple just being goofy, I'm not sure.
That is cddafs (CD-DA file system) at work. It mounts the CD tracks as AIFF files and even makes the CD's TOC available in .TOC.plist

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:30 pm

sbooth wrote:That is cddafs (CD-DA file system) at work. It mounts the CD tracks as AIFF files and even makes the CD's TOC available in .TOC.plist
Interesting. I didn't know such a thing existed. As far as the issue is concerned though, I've exhausted every option I can think of, so I'm back to version 0.5.6. With 0.6.1 installed on a clean install of OS X Tiger and no hardware modifications, I don't know what else could be wrong.

Again though, if there are any logs, diagnostics, anything I can do to help I will. This app is to me, the killer Mac app!
Aaron

Damnathan

Post by Damnathan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Just wanted to chime in that I'm getting the TOC error as well, although 0.5.6 works fine.

In case it matters, I'm running OS X 10.4.6, my optical drive is a BenQ 1620, and I have an m-Audio Delta 2496 audio card installed.

Oh, and I tried disabling Unsanity's Application Enhancer--no dice.

caleban

Same issue here

Post by caleban » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:29 pm

OS 10.4.7
Max .61

I've never used or installed Max before. Installed for the first time yesterday. I get the same error upon inserting any of two dozen CD's.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:47 pm

Something that may be related- if I try to run Max in the debugger on my PowerBook I also get the CDTOC read error. Strangely enough, I can write a short program that reproduces the behavior every time when run in the debugger. I am still puzzled by this problem.

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:52 pm

sbooth wrote:I am still puzzled by this problem.
Me too. I'm back to 0.56 until there's a solution.

I know (and greatly appreciate) that Max is open-source. Since Stephen can't seem to reproduce the error on his system, is anyone else looking into this? I'd love to help, but I couldn't code myself out of a wet paper bag. I do have Xcode installed on my iBook though and can reproduce the error 100% of the time. If there's any diagnostics I can do on my end to help, I'd be happy to.
Aaron

danco

Post by danco » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm using OS 10.4.7 on a PowerBook G4. I confirm that I have this problem. I've not tried a lot of disks yet.

So I decided to rip using 0.5.6. The rip went fine, so did the encoding to flac, and the log reported

Encode completed for Various Artists - Multiple Tracks [FLAC]

But I can't find the flac file anywhere. I suspect that Max did not actually save it.

Another couple of things. I'm really just experimenting so as to understand the program.

I used 0.6.1 to convert from flac to aiff, with default settings for output. My file got saved in Music, as it should, but with the name -1.flac, This seems a very odd name.

Also, the process showed "converting to flac" followed by "encoding to aiff". I don't understand the first item, as it was in flac format anyway.

gojou

Post by gojou » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:31 am

danco wrote:I used 0.6.1 to convert from flac to aiff, with default settings for output. My file got saved in Music, as it should, but with the name -1.flac, This seems a very odd name.
This is the default behavior in OS X when an application saves a file to disk and another file with the same name already exists at the save destination. To demonstrate this for yourself, go to MacUpdate, download a file, download the same file again, and examine the file names Safari assigns.

What OS X is trying to tell you is that the FLAC files already exist in the Music folder. However, for some reason you can't see them. I've also experienced this with FLAC rips in Max 0.5.6.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:50 am

danco wrote:I used 0.6.1 to convert from flac to aiff, with default settings for output. My file got saved in Music, as it should, but with the name -1.flac, This seems a very odd name.

Also, the process showed "converting to flac" followed by "encoding to aiff". I don't understand the first item, as it was in flac format anyway.
Did the FLAC file contain metadata? 0.6.1 has an issue where if files contain no metadata it will mess up the naming. A fix has been submitted where filenames are preserved if no metadata is found.

For the second question, the conversion process is indicative of how Max works internally. All audio is first converted to a PCM (AIFF specifically) intermediate format on disk, then transcoded from PCM to the desired output type. So the "conversion" is converting from whatever to PCM, and the "encoding" is from PCM to whatever.

danco

Post by danco » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 am

Yes, there was metadata. But, as I mentioned, I was using 0.5.6 because of the "can't read TOC" error in 0.6.1.

Gojou, you are right. For some reason, the first file I made did not have a file name, so it saved as the invisible file .flac. And then the next one, since .flac was already taken, saved as -1.flac.

But this still leaves me with the question as to why no real file name is being generated automatically or asked for manually.

I was using what I think are the default settings for output, and encoding all the tracks of a CD to a single file. I eould have expected that it would not save with an empty name.

My two tries were once of a CD that showed up with a name of artist and disk and one that showed up as Unknown Artist.

On another matter, there are occasions when I might want to create a basic .toc file from a .cue file. cue2toc does not seem to work, as it expects the .cue file in a slightly different way from what Max (at least 0.5.6) generates.

danco

Post by danco » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I've experimented a bit further, and I think the lack of a genuine file name is a glitch that sometimes happens, at least with 0.5.6. Certainly, it happened a couple of times previously, but I have now tried with "Encode selected tracks to a single file" both on and off and with "specify file names for output" both on and off, and they have all appeared with sensible file names.

However with "encode selected tracks to a single file" checked I had also checked "generate cue sheet", and there does not seem to be a cue sheet anywhere. Perhaps this was because I was just selecting several tracks from a CD, rather than all tracks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Problem solved!

Post by sbooth » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 pm

I found the cause of this problem, finally. For some reason I was requesting the TOC to be formatted as time (instead of logical block addresses) which was causing failures on some drive/disc combinations. I have committed a patch which fixes the issue.

Sorry it took so long to figure this one out; an official release will be forthcoming sometime, but in the meantime, once krmathis posts an svn build :) I recommend anyone having the issue download it.

krmathis

Re: Problem solved!

Post by krmathis » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm

sbooth wrote:an official release will be forthcoming sometime, but in the meantime, once krmathis posts an svn build :) I recommend anyone having the issue download it.
Its already up! 8)
Max revision 762 (2006.07.21)

gojou

Post by gojou » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Hooray! Thanks to sbooth for his diligence in solving this problem. Max is my favorite and IMO the VERY best at what it does on the Mac platform.