0.6 wont read CD TOC - SOLVED

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:03 pm

So possibly 0.6.1 would have worked fine with paranoia selected instead of comparison. If so, the problem was the comparison ripping, which does not include any error correction (yet) as you may have read in other topics here. Also, if I did understand this correctly, the comparison ripping will not work on all drives. Something to do with caching.

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:11 pm

I can confirm it's the comparison rip setting preventing the reading. As I reported earlier, discs read fine with other apps were not read with Max. After the previous couple comments I went back and tried paranoia with no problems.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:46 pm

macfeller wrote:I can confirm it's the comparison rip setting preventing the reading. As I reported earlier, discs read fine with other apps were not read with Max. After the previous couple comments I went back and tried paranoia with no problems.
This is odd, because the way that the TOC is read is the same regardless of which ripper is selected.

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Nuts. Will try to remember the CDs I orignally had issues with. One I tried today with success using paranoia and not with comaprison was for a fact one of the original batch.

Will play more this evening.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:01 am

So, tonight I have tried 20 CDs, all with no problem (using comparison). I "think" some were from the original batch I had issues with. The CD I spoke of earlier today is at work. I'll try it again. I'm wondering if there is "something" about having now used paranoia that has cleared up the problem - some cache, preference, whatever, that once paranoia is called, switching back to comparison is no longer a problem.

gojou

Post by gojou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 am

RonaldPR wrote:So possibly 0.6.1 would have worked fine with paranoia selected instead of comparison. If so, the problem was the comparison ripping, which does not include any error correction (yet) as you may have read in other topics here. Also, if I did understand this correctly, the comparison ripping will not work on all drives. Something to do with caching.
I reinstalled 0.6.1 and switched from comparison to paranoia, with the same results as before -- I still get the error message. I also tried turning off error correction entirely, and still got the same results.

One thing I've noticed: In the Ripper preference panel, if I select Overlap Checking as the error correction type, quit and relaunch the app, and click on the Type drop down menu, I see a check mark next to the Overlap Checking selection only. However, if I select Full Paranoia as the error correction type, quit and relaunch the app, and click on the Type drop down menu, I see a check mark next to both the Full Paranoia and Overlap Checking items.

gojou

Post by gojou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:06 am

Fuga wrote:I'm wondering if there is "something" about having now used paranoia that has cleared up the problem - some cache, preference, whatever, that once paranoia is called, switching back to comparison is no longer a problem.
I used AppZapper to remove all Max-related files before reinstalling 0.6.1, and I still have the problem.

gojou

Post by gojou » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:07 am

One other thing: During my most recent trials, Max spontaneously unmounted my internal drive and wouldn't allow me to eject a CD from the external drive!

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:52 pm

Fuga wrote:The CD I spoke of earlier today is at work.
Well, hell. That CD reads fine now. I will now proceed as if nothing has been happening and find something else to comment upon.

gojou

Post by gojou » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:00 am

Installed Max 0.6.1 on a new MacBook I have lying around and it worked just fine out of the gate. Now I'm really perplexed.

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:47 am

I think I'm having the same problem, so I'll post here before I start a new thread. I ripped 2-3 discs the day 0.6.1 came out and didn't have any problems. Since then my iBook has either been asleep or powered off and now I'm not able to rip anything. Max recognizes that a disc has been put in and does a FreeDB lookup, but when I select all the tracks and try and rip them, absolutely nothing happens. I've tried every combination of options in the ripper preferences, several encoding formats (although that shouldn't matter), and both local and network rip locations. I've tried opening Max first and then inserting the CD and vice versa. I've tried numerous CDs. I've tried re-downloading / deleting .plist file / reinstalling. I'm totally stumped. Every other audio CD reading method I've tried (iTunes, Finder) seems to recognize and read the disc just fine.

This machine is a 1.2Ghz PPC iBook with 1.25Gb RAM, using the internal CD/DVD drive.

The only thing I can see different with this version of Max that I don't remember seeing in previous is this when I insert a CD:

Unable to read the disc's media catalog number (MCN)

then

Unable to read the international standard recording code (ISRC) for track 1

Nothing else gets logged when I try to rip. The only reason I think my issue might be different than the others here is that I get the exact same behavior when trying to convert from one file format to another. Nothing happens and nothing gets logged. (Usually trying to go from ALAC to AAC).

I'm lost now. I haven't ripped a CD on my PC in weeks! Help! :o)
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:30 am

Just a quick update while researching the CD side of my issue.

I discovered the amazing "drutil" utility and started poking around my drive. I won't post all the logs here (but available if you want 'em), but in summary:

"discinfo" showed the correct number of sessions and tracks. the discId field shows "0" and I'm thinking that's supposed to be the unique number used to do the CDDB/FreeDB lookup but I could be wrong.

"status" again showed 1 session and 16 tracks, and a length of 51:18:57 (which is correct)

"toc" said the disk type was "0" or (CD-DA, or CD-ROM with first track in Mode 1), followed by all the tracks, their length, and "2ch audio, no pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited"

"subchannel" this was interesting - MCN and ISRC say "not present" and the disc disappears from the finder. it then spits out pages of track info and some hex encoded data.

I'd be happy to include all these logs (most can be saved as XML i believe) if it'll help. This still doesn't explain why I can't seem to convert from one file format to another. More researching after sleep!
Aaron

heilrath

Post by heilrath » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 pm

i have the same problem: "unable to read the TOC"

can anybody give me a link for a 0.5.. version?

thanks

volvoguy

Post by volvoguy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:20 pm

heilrath wrote:can anybody give me a link for a 0.5.. version?
Good ol' Sourceforge. :D

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/macaudiox/
Aaron

heavyboots

Work-around

Post by heavyboots » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:07 pm

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Okay, I think I got it to work on my machine. As near as I can tell, the winning solution was to uninstall the Unsanity aped in System Prefs. It's an old version, so maybe newer ones would work better, but I didn't actually have any Unsanity stuff running anymore, so I'm leaving it off to be safe! :D