Music Brainz CDDB Problems ...

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
thornomad

Music Brainz CDDB Problems ...

Post by thornomad » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi,

I have a few CDs whose tracks aren't being recognized by Max (via MusicBrainz). Most CDs in my collection are fine, but a couple turn up with no results. They happened to be lesser known CDs, so I thought it may be a limitation of of the MusicBrainz database, however, when I went to http://musicbrainz.org/ I was able to find the CD without a problem via their search feature. So, the CD is in MusicBrainz but not being found in Max.

I don't know if it is a problem with Max, or really how the lookup process works. For example, is there a defining feature on the CD that, on my copy, isn't recognized by MusicBrainz and I need to update the MusicBrainz database (I am willing to do it, but am not sure how)? Or is it a problem with Max?

Thanks,
Damon

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Music Brainz CDDB Problems ...

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:29 pm

Max looks up CDs by their MusicBrainz ID. Max uses the disc's MBID as the filename, so it is easy to copy the filename (minus the cdinfo extension) and paste it into the MB website to search for a specific disc ID. That should determine if the problem is related to Max or just that the particular pressing of your disc isn't in the database.

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:34 pm

This looks similar to issue 000367 currently in the tracker.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:21 pm

I fixed a bug in r1306 for incorrectly calculated MBIDs on Intel Macs. There shouldn't be any issues with disc id calculations in the latest unstable version.

DavidH

Post by DavidH » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:43 pm

I downloaded the unstable version today and I'm not getting results from MBID on my Intel Mac on several CDs. I took the time to look them up on Music Brainz and all the albums I tried were on there.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:28 pm

DavidH wrote:I downloaded the unstable version today and I'm not getting results from MBID on my Intel Mac on several CDs. I took the time to look them up on Music Brainz and all the albums I tried were on there.
Did you look them up using the disc ids that Max calculates?

thornomad

Post by thornomad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:57 am

sbooth wrote:Max looks up CDs by their MusicBrainz ID. Max uses the disc's MBID as the filename, so it is easy to copy the filename (minus the cdinfo extension) and paste it into the MB website to search for a specific disc ID. That should determine if the problem is related to Max or just that the particular pressing of your disc isn't in the database.
Hi - okay, had a chance to check it out ... looks like the disk "ID" isn't being found in MusicBrainz. I went to: http://musicbrainz.org/search.html and did a search for the ID generated in ~/Library/Application Support/Max/ ... for one of the CDs that worked, it found it ... for the one that didn't, it didn't. Go figure.

All right, so I need to figure out how to add that Disk ID to MusicBrainz so that myself, and others I suppose, don't have this problem.

I fooled around on the site but can't figure out how to submite a new Disk ID ... anyone have any ideas ? Doesn't seem like I can just cut and paste it in there.

Thanks,
Damon