What is a "comparison ripper"?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
RonaldPR

What is a "comparison ripper"?

Post by RonaldPR » Tue May 30, 2006 8:32 am

The new version of Max now also has a comparison ripper. Could someone explain what it is and why or when I should use it instead of paranoia that I have used so far? The ReadMe states: "For damaged discs, Max can either use its built-in comparison ripper (for drives that cache audio) or the error-correcting power of cdparanoia." But that does not answer my question.

tomhayes

Re: What is a "comparison ripper"?

Post by tomhayes » Tue May 30, 2006 10:45 am

RonaldPR wrote:The new version of Max now also has a comparison ripper. Could someone explain what it is and why or when I should use it instead of paranoia that I have used so far? The ReadMe states: "For damaged discs, Max can either use its built-in comparison ripper (for drives that cache audio) or the error-correcting power of cdparanoia." But that does not answer my question.
I asked almost the same thing in the other forum.

Maybe we'll hear more in the next day or two.

LagunaSol

Post by LagunaSol » Tue May 30, 2006 4:58 pm

This thread has additional details about the comparison ripper:

http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182

pianomaster

comparison ripper...

Post by pianomaster » Tue May 30, 2006 5:12 pm

can anyone clarify what the SHA-256 option does? i've checked the forums and most explanations seem above my head...it seems to help with secure ripping of specific sectors, but that's as far as i've gotten...thanks a lot, this is very promising!

ye

Re: comparison ripper...

Post by ye » Tue May 30, 2006 5:35 pm

pianomaster wrote:can anyone clarify what the SHA-256 option does?
The option is used to determine if two sectors are equal. This can either be done straight forward by comparing bit by bit (that is done if the option is unchecked) or by using the SHA256 hash function.

A hash function computes a small amount of output data from a large amount of input data. This is done in a way that it is "unlikely" that the output is equal for two different inputs.

So with the SHA-256 option you can never be absolutly certain that two sectors are equal, but it is very unlikely that SHA-256 "says" that the sectors are equal but they aren't.

The advantage is that with SHA-256 you only have to compare a small amount of data. But as you have to process the hole input data to compute the hash function anyway, it is not obvious if using SHA-256 gives you some performance gain ... loosely speaking.

pianomaster

Post by pianomaster » Wed May 31, 2006 1:55 pm

when setting the "required matches per sector", the default was at 3...is anything higher than this overkill for all but horribly damaged cds? i guess just some hierarchy of effectiveness is what i'd like to know, similar to the bitrate options of "portable, transparent, best, etc."...thanks stephen!!