Quality settings?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
johnjeffrey

Quality settings?

Post by johnjeffrey » Fri May 19, 2006 2:57 pm

Do the quality settings preference (Maximum, Medium, etc) for 320 AAC files mean anything? Does having it on Maximum actually mean anything as to compared to Medium?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 19, 2006 3:11 pm

There is some information on quality settings at http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35.

johnjeffrey

Post by johnjeffrey » Fri May 19, 2006 3:23 pm

sorry still kinda confused...in that post you said:

"The quality settings have no effect for Apple Lossless. The ability to adjust quality at all is probably an artifact of my inexperience with Core Audio and trying to treat all the codecs the same way. (Versus a specialized interface for each one.) "

So the same does not go for the AAC files? Sorry for the confusion but wasn't sure what all the cookie-reading, etc language meant...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 19, 2006 3:31 pm

The quality settings have no effect for Apple Lossless, and in future versions will not be enabled in the settings for that format.

The quality settings do have an effect for AAC. Unfortunately I can't say exactly what the effects will be! Those settings are suggestions to the encoder, and Apple doesn't specifically say one way or the other what exactly they do (Max uses the CoreAudio AAC encoder). In general, those types of settings affect the speed or complexity of the algorithm used by the encoder. I will try asking on the CoreAudio mailing list to see if I can get a more definitive answer for you...

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:50 pm

I just did a quick test using "Maximum" and "Medium" quality for AAC on a WAV, and there wasn't any difference in file size or bitrate between the two. Did anyone on the Core Audio mailing list ever get back to you, Stephen?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:23 am

shanecavanaugh wrote:I just did a quick test using "Maximum" and "Medium" quality for AAC on a WAV, and there wasn't any difference in file size or bitrate between the two. Did anyone on the Core Audio mailing list ever get back to you, Stephen?
D'oh! I knew I'd forgotten something that I was going to ask on there. So I suppose the easy answer would be no, they didn't get back to me :)