Damsel in Max distress.

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
an.uncommon.muse

Damsel in Max distress.

Post by an.uncommon.muse » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:13 pm

I am usually very tech savvy and am feeling a bit like a blushing little girl at my current problem with Max.
I think, nay KNOW i must be over looking something. I simply CANNOT get Max to open for me.
I run a Mac book pro with Mac OS X v. 10.4.10 *intelcore duo 2*.
So have I experienced a complete lapse of reason and missed something VITAL or what? (and if so, I am pleading for you to enlighten me. for ignorance is not bliss - atleast in this instance)
thank you

shoar

Re: Damsel in Max distress.

Post by shoar » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:00 am

Hi - this thread [with, alas, no specific cause nor solution] might offer a little, if cold, comfort.

Suggest you uninstall Max, then go to Disk Utility & repair permissions. Re-download & install again.

an.uncommon.muse

Post by an.uncommon.muse » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:04 pm

I do have 10.4.10 (to be precise) but I will try this (even though I am almost certain I fixed permissions). could be a small over-sight.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:58 am

an.uncommon.muse wrote:... I am almost certain I fixed permissions ...
It's voodoo, anyway -- although common in Mac circles. Disk Utility doesn't actually "repair" permissions on the files it looks at so much as reset them to the the defaults by checking what's in Library/Receipts. Unless you know that the permissions on a directory are specifically a problem for what you want to do and why, running that tool at random isn't likely to help you any more than sacrificing a chicken to the gods at midnight. And what if you _wanted_ permissions on something set differently to how Apple does by default? Most Unix-based systems don't provide any facility for "repairing permissions", and arguably Apple shouldn't -- the current arrangement is a security hole:

http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/MOAB-15-01-2007.html

That problem, dating back to January, is still unpatched.

I guess you'll already have tried re-downloading Max and re-installing it after deleting the preferences file. I suppose your user account may be corrupted in some way -- does Max run OK from another account on the machine?

I think I'd do as K. R. Mathis recommends in the thread shoar kindly cites:
Check your console.log, and see if you find any error code related to Max.
Or try to launch Max from Terminal, and post the output here