Max giving me an error...

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Diazruanova

Max giving me an error...

Post by Diazruanova » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi again,

I just downloaded and installed MAX on an iMac Intel Core2 Duo and so far I have not been able to encode anything, cause I get over and over the following error:

An error ocurred while converting the file
"Pibos 1 mix.L.sd2".
*** - [NSCFDictionary lastPathComponent]: selector
not recognized [self= 0xe976680]

Thanks again

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max giving me an error...

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 pm

Does the error only happen for .sd2 files or for all file types?

Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks sbooth,

I managed (do not know how!) to convert without showing any error, from xxx.m4a and/or xxx.sd2 to:

1.- x.flac
2.- x.mp3
3.- x.ape
4.- x.ogg(FLAC)
5.- x.spx
6.- x.ogg(vorbis)

Otherwise, for the remaining 30 OUTPUT formats out of 36 and using the same xxx.m4a and/or xxx.sd2 Input formats, I get either one of the following errors:
The call to AudioFileInitialize failed or Unable to create the Output file

Thanks again :wink:

Enrique Diazruanova

Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Sorry for the bump, but there has not being any reply for my problem.

Enrique Diazruanova

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:01 am

Diazruanova wrote:Sorry for the bump, but there has not being any reply for my problem.
Without more specific information it is hard to determine what is happening. Can you give a specific example of which input file (and details on its channels, sample rate, etc) fails to convert to what format (and your settings for that format)?

Diazruanova

Post by Diazruanova » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 pm

sbooth wrote:
Diazruanova wrote:Sorry for the bump, but there has not being any reply for my problem.
Without more specific information it is hard to determine what is happening. Can you give a specific example of which input file (and details on its channels, sample rate, etc) fails to convert to what format (and your settings for that format)?
I thought I was specific enough in my previous post, but let me put again two examples:

If I try to convert from MPEG4 to AIFF, I receive the "The call to AudioFileInitialize failed" now, the settings for the MPEG4 input file, are 2 Chanels stereo, 128 Bitrate and AAC codec and the settings for the desired AIFF are: "Linear PCM 16Bit" so, please tell me if I am trying to do something impossible with this particular conversion?

Another: If I try to convert .sd2 (1 channel and 16 bitrate and 44.1K) to AIFF and the same settings for AIFF like before, i receive the same error warning!
One more: If I try to convert the same mono/16bit/44.1 .sd2 to MPEG4 I get "The call to ExtAudioFileIWrite failed" error being the settings for MPEG4 the same: AAC Medium quality with a bitrate of 128

I hope these examples are specific enough and let me repeat myself from the previous post:

The only outputs (formats) that I manage to convert to successfully, at least from the previous examples: .MPEG4 (Stereo AAC - bitrate of 128) and .sd2 (Mono/16bit/44.1K) are

1.- x.flac
2.- x.mp3
3.- x.ape
4.- x.ogg(FLAC)
5.- x.spx
6.- x.ogg(vorbis)

So the remaining 30 formats remain unusable. Do I make sense now?

Thanks, Enrique

Gajin

Post by Gajin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:53 am

Hi sbooth,

like Enrique I'm getting the same errors encoding aif files in 0.7.1. "[NSCFDictionary lastPathComponent]: selector
not recognized [self= 0xe976680]" or "[NSCFDictionary string by deletingPathExtension]: selector
not recognized [self= 0x1727C3D0]". Aif files Linear PCM 16bit stereo 44.1k Quality normal. The problem only occurs if I'm trying to use the encoder! Ripping an audio CD and encoding it works flawlessly. By the way I didn't manage to encode the files to any of the output formats. Also tried the unstable release. No go. iTunes no problem. Checked and changed permissions for disks and proggy, but no change.

System 10.4.10, latest Quicktime, latest iTunes, quad core G5 and macbook core 2 duo.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm getting a similar error with Max 0.8.1 when I try to convert WAV files to MP3 via the "Convert files..." menu option. I've tried to do this several times now, and on every occasion I get the result:

An error occurred while converting the file x.wav: *** [NSCFDictionary lastPathComponent): selector not recognized [self=0x6388490]

This hex value has varied -- I've gotten [0x119bea0], [0x11fc3e0], [0x62558c0] and other values.

Usually the message only flashes on the screen for a split-second, though I can see it again (with the same hex value) if I press the "Convert" icon repeatedly. At least once, the message has stayed on-screen until I hit OK. In either case, once I try to quit Max, it tells me there are still tasks in progress.

I've tried this with different MP3 settings (96kbps joint stereo vs. 192kbps stereo), and even tried doing a WAV > AIFF conversion with the same result. The input files are two 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo WAVs, totalling six minutes in length between them, so they're not in any way unusual.

Any ideas? Should I fill out a Trac ticket?

(PowerBook G4, 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)
Last edited by goldenband on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Please do create a trac ticket. This sounds like it could be a memory-related issue.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Will do, and thanks for the super-quick reply (it came in just as I finished editing the above!).

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Any word on this one? The trac ticket (from last June) is here.

goldenband

Post by goldenband » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:50 am

Still having sporadic problems with this one -- any word, one way or the other? I've got a batch of files today that I'd like to transcode and conjoin, and I've tried SHN > WAV, SHN > AIFF, WAV > AIFF, but I've gotten the same error in every instance.

EDIT: Well, I just read that the join function doesn't actually do anything. (Oh, well, at least the CD ripper will do it.) But I tried turning it off, and am still getting the same error.

EDIT #2: Also, for the record, trashing the prefs did NOT help. And my setup is the same as it was a year ago.