When converting, how to USE album art?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
jeffc

When converting, how to USE album art?

Post by jeffc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:57 pm

Hi,

I'm just getting started with Max 0.71.

I've noted that Max can SAVE album art as a file in the folder (for SlimServer). That's great for new rips, but ...

I have a FLAC library (already used for SlimServer, so I have a bunch of 'folder.jpg' files saved with the album files). I'm looking at converting to MPeg4 files (for an iPod or an iPhone). The Max converter appears to work great, but how do I have Max read the album art that already exists with the FLAC files and use it? For the life of me, I can't seem to find a way to do this ...

Am I dense? Or is this even possible with Max?

Thanks for the help for an obvious newbie ... and sorry in advance if I am dense!

-- Jeff

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: When converting, how to USE album art?

Post by sbooth » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:18 am

jeffc wrote:I have a FLAC library (already used for SlimServer, so I have a bunch of 'folder.jpg' files saved with the album files). I'm looking at converting to MPeg4 files (for an iPod or an iPhone). The Max converter appears to work great, but how do I have Max read the album art that already exists with the FLAC files and use it? For the life of me, I can't seem to find a way to do this ...

Am I dense? Or is this even possible with Max?
This is possible, but it isn't very automated. Once you've dragged the files to convert into the Converter window and selected them, show the album art drawer and then drag the album art file from Finder into the image view. That will set the image to use for the album art for the selected files.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 am

sbooth wrote:This is possible, but it isn't very automated. Once you've dragged the files to convert into the Converter window and selected them, show the album art drawer and then drag the album art file from Finder into the image view. That will set the image to use for the album art for the selected files.
Yup, that works. For some 300+ albums, it's a little daunting, but it does work.

Is there any way to make this more automated? For example, is there any FLAC tag that Max will honor when dealing with album art? If so, I could whip up a PERL script and use the FLAC command line program to set the album art on a per-track basis.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise, this is better than nothing ...

I hate to ask this (it's SO newbie), but: Is there a way, once the music is in iTunes, to set the album art (without searching Amazon or something) if I already have it on disk? Can I drag the album art onto selected tracks in iTunes or anything? Or does this really need to be done at conversion time? (I was hoping to convert the entire lot of music overnight, then deal with album art in a second pass, if that's what it takes.)

Thanks for the prompt reply - I really appreciate it!

-- Jeff

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm

jeffc wrote:I hate to ask this (it's SO newbie), but: Is there a way, once the music is in iTunes, to set the album art (without searching Amazon or something) if I already have it on disk? Can I drag the album art onto selected tracks in iTunes or anything? Or does this really need to be done at conversion time? (I was hoping to convert the entire lot of music overnight, then deal with album art in a second pass, if that's what it takes.)

Oooh, oooh! I can answer this.

For a track to which you want to add art highlight it and Get Info. There is an Artwork tab. Click Add and navigate to your file. If you have a webpage open which has the graphic, all you have to do is drag the graphic into the art space.

You can only do one file at a time.

The art is not actually stored with the file so if you want to take a file and put it onto another device/machine and have art (and not be using iTunes) you must embed it. I use Embed Artwork.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:25 pm

Okay, that helps. Thanks!

But I'm still (very) interested in automating this process if possible. Any ideas on my prior question? That is:
For example, is there any FLAC tag that Max will honor when dealing with album art? If so, I could whip up a PERL script and use the FLAC command line program to set the album art on a per-track basis.
If there is such a FLAC tag that Max will honor, then I can just run my script, do the import, and then everything will "just work" without further ado ...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 am

The FLAC format has album art support. It is not stored with the Vorbis comments, but in another kind of metadata block. The program metaflac (part of the FLAC distribution) can read and write album art to and from files, and would be easily scriptable with bash or your favorite shell.

Here is the documentation on the relevant command line options for metaflac:
--import-picture-from=FILENAME|SPECIFICATION Import a picture and store it in a
PICTURE block. Either a filename for the picture file or
a more complete specification form can be used. The
SPECIFICATION is a string whose parts are separated by |
characters. Some parts may be left empty to invoke
default values. FILENAME is just shorthand for
"||||FILENAME". The format of SPECIFICATION is:
[TYPE]|[MIME-TYPE]|[DESCRIPTION]|[WIDTHxHEIGHTxDEPTH[/COLORS]]|FILE
TYPE is optional; it is a number from one of:
0: Other
1: 32x32 pixels 'file icon' (PNG only)
2: Other file icon
3: Cover (front)
4: Cover (back)
5: Leaflet page
6: Media (e.g. label side of CD)
7: Lead artist/lead performer/soloist
8: Artist/performer
9: Conductor
10: Band/Orchestra
11: Composer
12: Lyricist/text writer
13: Recording Location
14: During recording
15: During performance
16: Movie/video screen capture
17: A bright coloured fish
18: Illustration
19: Band/artist logotype
20: Publisher/Studio logotype
The default is 3 (front cover). There may only be one picture each
of type 1 and 2 in a file.
MIME-TYPE is optional; if left blank, it will be detected from the
file. For best compatibility with players, use pictures with MIME
type image/jpeg or image/png. The MIME type can also be --> to
mean that FILE is actually a URL to an image, though this use is
discouraged.
DESCRIPTION is optional; the default is an empty string
The next part specfies the resolution and color information. If
the MIME-TYPE is image/jpeg, image/png, or image/gif, you can
usually leave this empty and they can be detected from the file.
Otherwise, you must specify the width in pixels, height in pixels,
and color depth in bits-per-pixel. If the image has indexed colors
you should also specify the number of colors used.
FILE is the path to the picture file to be imported, or the URL if
MIME type is -->
--export-picture-to=FILE Export PICTURE block to a file. Use '-' for stdout.
Only one FLAC file may be specified. The first PICTURE
block will be exported unless --export-picture-to is
preceded by a --block-number=# option to specify the exact
metadata block to extract. Note that the block number is
the one shown by --list.

jhart71

Post by jhart71 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Fuga wrote:
jeffc wrote:I hate to ask this (it's SO newbie), but: Is there a way, once the music is in iTunes, to set the album art (without searching Amazon or something) if I already have it on disk? Can I drag the album art onto selected tracks in iTunes or anything? Or does this really need to be done at conversion time? (I was hoping to convert the entire lot of music overnight, then deal with album art in a second pass, if that's what it takes.)

Oooh, oooh! I can answer this.

For a track to which you want to add art highlight it and Get Info. There is an Artwork tab. Click Add and navigate to your file. If you have a webpage open which has the graphic, all you have to do is drag the graphic into the art space.

You can only do one file at a time.

The art is not actually stored with the file so if you want to take a file and put it onto another device/machine and have art (and not be using iTunes) you must embed it. I use Embed Artwork.
This isn't 100% accurate . . .

1) You can add the album art to as many tracks as you select. Select your tracks, Get Info, and a smaller artwork box appears (instead of the separate Artwork tab you get with individual tracks). Drag your artwork into that small box, and hit Enter. It will add the artwork to all the tracks you had selected. To delete artwork from multiple tracks, click the check box next to the artwork box and hit Enter.

2) When you manually add artwork to iTunes songs (MP3/AAC/ALAC) the artwork IS embedded into the file. It becomes part of the ID3 tag, so if you copied that file to another computer it will still show up.

The way it does NOT embed the artwork is if you use iTunes' Get Artwork feature. That puts the artwork in a folder within the iTunes folder.

Meatwad

Post by Meatwad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:38 pm

sbooth wrote:The FLAC format has album art support. It is not stored with the Vorbis comments, but in another kind of metadata block.
I did some googling before I found Max and it seemed like the album art thing wasn't really a standard - maybe I was just looking at old data. I was going to ask how Max handled it, as I really want to only set it once - my goal is to do this rip/tag/artwork thing only once. :)

And if I embed the artwork into the FLAC file with Max will it automagically imbed it in the ID3 files for my iPod?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Meatwad wrote:And if I embed the artwork into the FLAC file with Max will it automagically imbed it in the ID3 files for my iPod?
Yes, if things work correctly.

Meatwad

Post by Meatwad » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:48 am

sbooth wrote:Yes, if things work correctly.
They did. This program is so awesome. Even know it's the best ripper/encoder I've seen. I'm gonna flaunt it to some windows guys to make them cry. :)