Ripping Without encoding

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
JazzCat

Ripping Without encoding

Post by JazzCat » Mon May 15, 2006 12:28 pm

I'm a newbie so excuse my "newbieness". I'm trying to figure out how to rip a cd in its original format, so if the cd is in aiff, it will automatically rip the cd to my machine in its native format. When I was ripping an aiff cd I selected the identical format in the preference pane. I thought doing this would rip the cd but bypass the encoding process because the format I wanted was the same as the cd, but the encoding window poped up and did its thing.

Also, if you have a file that is lets say "aiff linear PCM 16 bit" and encode it to that exact same settings (not that there would be any reason to ever to that) could the audio lose quality despite maintaining the same settings. Just curious.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Ripping Without encoding

Post by sbooth » Mon May 15, 2006 2:10 pm

JazzCat wrote:I'm a newbie so excuse my "newbieness". I'm trying to figure out how to rip a cd in its original format, so if the cd is in aiff, it will automatically rip the cd to my machine in its native format. When I was ripping an aiff cd I selected the identical format in the preference pane. I thought doing this would rip the cd but bypass the encoding process because the format I wanted was the same as the cd, but the encoding window poped up and did its thing.
A CD's native audio format is 16-bit linear PCM data. Files such as WAVE and AIFF add headers for byte-ordering information and such. With Max's architecture, there is no way to rip without encoding. During the ripping phase Max extracts the audio to a 16-bit linear PCM format (the native format of the CD). During encoding, the extracted audio is converted to the desired output format. If you want AIFF output there is no quality loss.
Also, if you have a file that is lets say "aiff linear PCM 16 bit" and encode it to that exact same settings (not that there would be any reason to ever to that) could the audio lose quality despite maintaining the same settings. Just curious.
No, for most PCM to PCM conversions you will not lose any audio quality. So you should be able to convert from AIFF to WAV to FLAC to Apple Lossless and never lose quality (as long as you are careful not to change the bits per sample or integer to floating point).

danpritts

Any way to get wav file and save tag info?

Post by danpritts » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:08 pm

I'd like to use max as only a ripper - save to wav files, and save a file with id3 (or possibly some other format) tag info.

This way I can encode on my linux server, which is always running, rather than leaving my mac to do the job.

I used to do this with grip on linux.

danpritts

Post by danpritts » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 pm

whoops, i hit submit too soon.

Is this something you would be willing to add? Another grip feature that I miss is the ability to run a post-processing command on each disc. I used this to grab extra tracking information with cdda2wav (metadata that cdrecord could use to recreate the disc exactly). I'm sure there are a host of other possibilities.

Another suggestion: enable a generic "external encoder" function - allow the user to define his own command to do it.

A final nicety would be to enable "unix friendly" file naming. Things that come to mind are:
_ instead of space
strip or replace shell metacharacters like & ? ()

Thanks very much for making max available. It's a very nice, clean piece of software. I appreciate all the hard work that went into it.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:25 pm

danpritts. Max already have the ability to rip your CD to WAVE files.
But afaik WAVE files don't support tagging, so you will need to do this manually after encoding to a different format.

danpritts

Post by danpritts » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:08 pm

Yes, it is the extra tagging ability that i'm looking for.

Without worrying about how i do it with grip (on linux), my end result there is a wav file and a similarly named file that contains ONLY an id3 tag.

my postprocessing script then just copies the id3 tag to the end product (mp3 or flac - turns out most flac players will properly handle id3 tags even if it isn't the "right way".

Maybe all I need to do is just encode as flac and not worry about it. This workflow is one i developed while encoding my cd collection, and i had three cd drives working in parallel on one 450MHz celeron box to do the ripping. This was no where near fast enough to keep up with the encoding but even my 1.25GHz mac mini can probably encode to flac as fast as the drive can rip. Or plenty fast, anyway.

Having a post-processing command available would be a big win though.

danpritts

Post by danpritts » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:47 pm

So, i've tried it now and the result is that my mini can't do anywhere close to realtime encoding to mp3, and it can't do it to flac quite fast as my drive can rip - i have 4 songs left in the encode queue when i get to the end of a 20-song CD.

I suppose I could change to flac -1, which would probably go fast enough, but i can't believe this feature wouldn't be useful to others.

should i start a thread in the "development" forum instead?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:42 am

danpritts wrote:So, i've tried it now and the result is that my mini can't do anywhere close to realtime encoding to mp3, and it can't do it to flac quite fast as my drive can rip - i have 4 songs left in the encode queue when i get to the end of a 20-song CD.

I suppose I could change to flac -1, which would probably go fast enough, but i can't believe this feature wouldn't be useful to others.

should i start a thread in the "development" forum instead?
This would probably be better suited to the Development forum. I am not 100% sure I understand what it is you're after- an empty file with ID3 tags only? In any case, we can discuss it over there.