Speex encoding doesn't work

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Steve27ma

Speex encoding doesn't work

Post by Steve27ma » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:39 am

I am preparing to develop courseware with speex, and may have to use the Windows encoder :( because the files that Max creates are all garbled.

Has anyone created valid Speex files with this?

What am I doing wrong? I've tried all combinations of settings, and put 44.1, 16 and 8khz wave files in.

I need to create both 16 and 8khz Speex files.

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:44 pm

What player are you using to play back the Speex files? Max uses the unstable branch of speex (currently 1.1 but soon to be upgraded to 1.2) so perhaps the player isn't correctly handling the 1.1 generated files?

What format are the files you are attempting to convert? I've had problems in the past with sample rate conversion and Speex, but I thought I worked those issues out.

BTW, even if Speex in the current release of Max is broken, you can still use the command-line encoder on Mac OS and thus avoid resorting to Windows!

Steve27ma

Post by Steve27ma » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:01 pm

I got the quicktime components for Speex and played them in Quicktime as well as in VLC. Speex files provided by my client played fine in Quicktime, and with some cutting off of audio in VLC. The Max files played garbled noise mostly

I tried both the low and the mid range quality.

How do we use the command-line encoder on Mac OS?

Thanks