90-99% Then Freezing . . .

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
T.D.S.

90-99% Then Freezing . . .

Post by T.D.S. » Mon May 15, 2006 5:18 am

Okay, so Max 0.5.6 has issues with enhanced CD's, this I know.

What I am getting is nearly every CD I put in to rip, Max hangs on the last few tracks . . . Usually at 90-99% (any value in there really). These discs have no "enhanced" features and one was even brand new, right out of the package.

Is this a known issue or something I am doing wrong? I am fairly incompetent when it comes to these things (new to Mac and fairly new to digital audio). Or, is it supposed to hang like that to get a perfect rip? It just seems odd that it did it on fairly clean CD's, yet the CD that I was most worried about (scratch wise) it worked fine . . . No waiting or anything.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: 90-99% Then Freezing . . .

Post by sbooth » Mon May 15, 2006 2:16 pm

T.D.S. wrote:What I am getting is nearly every CD I put in to rip, Max hangs on the last few tracks . . . Usually at 90-99% (any value in there really). These discs have no "enhanced" features and one was even brand new, right out of the package.

Is this a known issue or something I am doing wrong? I am fairly incompetent when it comes to these things (new to Mac and fairly new to digital audio). Or, is it supposed to hang like that to get a perfect rip? It just seems odd that it did it on fairly clean CD's, yet the CD that I was most worried about (scratch wise) it worked fine . . . No waiting or anything.
Do the rips ever finish, or does it stay at 90-99% forever? If there is disc damage or a sector that paranoia is having trouble reading, it is normal for it to retry the sector over and over. You could try turning logging and see what the output is.

The svn version of Max has two new rippers, which hopefully will solve issues for discs with ripping problems in the current version.

T.D.S.

Post by T.D.S. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 am

I am bringing this back up, because the issue is still occurring.

As per your advice on a different issue, I am ripping my CD with Paranoia.

I tried doing it with "Never allow skipping" checked.

It froze on track 10. I took out the CD and restarted from that point. It ripped a few tracks and then froze. I turn on logging every time, and I cannot navigate within the program because it notifies me that Max is "application not responding".

The last log entry stated "Rip status: verify sector" and then after are numbers, which are different every time as well.

I took the number of re-tries from 20 to 4 and it still freezes. I check the Activity Monitor and it shows Max's CPU usage, which fluctuates while the program remains inoperable.

Whenever I use Paranoia this occurs.