FLAC to WAV or AIF

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
macfeller

FLAC to WAV or AIF

Post by macfeller » Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 pm

So, I got some FLAC files and want to make them AIF. How in the blue blazes do I do this?

I have played with setting in the Preferences but can't seem to get any thing going that simply takes a FLAC and makes it an AIF. I *can* get it where it makes *another* FLAC and then the AIF.

I know I'm not stupid about things lossy but am feeling pretty damn ignorant right now. Luckily I'm old enough to not give a flip as long as I get what I want.

Thanks!
mf

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: FLAC to WAV or AIF

Post by sbooth » Mon May 15, 2006 2:12 pm

macfeller wrote:So, I got some FLAC files and want to make them AIF. How in the blue blazes do I do this?
I assume you are using Max 0.5.6 and not the svn version?

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Mon May 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Correct.

macfeller

Though I'm not sure what version I am using ...

Post by macfeller » Mon May 15, 2006 6:01 pm

matters. It's the steps I am clueless about, apparently.

I hope to get this figured out soon. I would just as soon use only one app/suite. I have used xACT but I think you are going to figure out how to outsmart caching before the xACT guy does. I actually use EAC for ripping but xACT for everything else (except tagging now that you've given us Tag). More, I don't think the xACT guy is all that interested in more development as regards ripping since his real interest is the lossless trading scene. Sure, much of it is ripping, too, but much is not and I always felt that end of his app's use was more of a novelty interest (and a supply because of demand interest) kind of thing. I certainly may be *way* off-base in this regard. My intent is to communicate delightful anticipation of heavy Max use!

mf

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 15, 2006 6:33 pm

OK, for 0.5.6 to encode to AIFF:
  • Open the Preferences
  • Select the Formats pane
  • Select the Core Audio tab
  • Select AIFF from the available formats
  • Select 16-bit signed integer as the data type
  • Click the add button
To start converting the FLAC files, either select 'Convert Files...' from the File menu, or show the Converter window and drag your FLACs into it.

Hope this helps!

macfeller

Well, it helps in that I do end up with AIF files.

Post by macfeller » Mon May 15, 2006 8:31 pm

The trouble is I get two files for every FLAC. Well, to an extent, nevermind that; just checked and in my playings before I had added AIF but the 24 bit selection. I've removed that and assume that the next time I'll only get the one AIF.

BUT, the thing is: The reason I had not noticed in mprevious trials actually getting an AIF file is because I was canceling the operation. The reason I was canceling is because when the Converting started it seemed to be doing some stuff in FLAC. In the latest couple trials just now I let it go and saw that the Encoder window eventually opened from which the AIF resulted.

My question now is one of just trying to understand what is going on between starting work on the original FLAC and having stuff finish with the AIF. Is the FLAC file being converted before encoding to AIF? Sure seems that way from the "progression" of events/windows on the screen. OTOH, for all I know, this is what's going on in xACT, too, just not noticeable.

Thanks for the prompt replies, and
Many thanks for this work you've done!

mf

scott brown

Re: Though I'm not sure what version I am using ...

Post by scott brown » Wed May 24, 2006 10:47 pm

macfeller wrote:matters. It's the steps I am clueless about, apparently.

I have used xACT but I think you are going to figure out how to outsmart caching before the xACT guy does. I actually use EAC for ripping but xACT for everything else (except tagging now that you've given us Tag). More, I don't think the xACT guy is all that interested in more development as regards ripping since his real interest is the lossless trading scene. Sure, much of it is ripping, too, but much is not and I always felt that end of his app's use was more of a novelty interest (and a supply because of demand interest) kind of thing. I certainly may be *way* off-base in this regard. My intent is to communicate delightful anticipation of heavy Max use!

mf

i put cdda2wav support with paranoia libs into xACT simply because nothing else really offered any kind of support. So I made xACT do very basic cdda2wav things. It's simply calling a command line cdda2wav... nothing fancy

I did start on my own secure cd ripper from scratch a few months back (using simple, but effective reading and hashing of sectors), but then I got so swamped with work that I put this project aside. Maybe I'll take it back up and see what I can do.

Scott

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Wed May 24, 2006 11:06 pm

I did start on my own secure cd ripper from scratch a few months back (using simple, but effective reading and hashing of sectors), but then I got so swamped with work that I put this project aside. Maybe I'll take it back up and see what I can do.
Great news, Scott.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 25, 2006 8:35 am

For what it's worth I've already implemented a cache-defeating ripper for the next version of Max. It can be tested/used right now if you are inclined to compile Max from svn. If not, 0.6 should be released in a week or so.