Aiff 16 or 24 bit?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
ag644

Aiff 16 or 24 bit?

Post by ag644 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:52 am

I'm sure this has been answered here elsewhere, but I got so many hits when I searched for the topic that I thought I'd simply post it anew as clearly as possible.

When choosing default bitrate settings for converting flac files to Aiffs that I plan to burn to disc, I always assumed 16 bit was best, since that's the default for audio CDs. But I've read a couple posters here and on other boards talk about getting better sounding discs when they encode aiff at the 24 bit setting.

But if the material I'm converting was from CD and will be going to CD, how could I improve the sound by introducing 24 bit into the game this late in the game? Or have I completely misunderstood something essential here?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike1

Re: Aiff 16 or 24 bit?

Post by Mike1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:27 am

ag644 wrote:...When choosing default bitrate settings for converting flac files to Aiffs that I plan to burn to disc, I always assumed 16 bit was best, since that's the default for audio CDs. But I've read a couple posters here and on other boards talk about getting better sounding discs when they encode aiff at the 24 bit setting.

But if the material I'm converting was from CD and will be going to CD, how could I improve the sound by introducing 24 bit into the game this late in the game? Or have I completely misunderstood something essential here?
If people are using 24 bit, then presumably they have files that don't come from an ordinary CD in the first place. You can't add information that you haven't got by changing your format.

But, actually, you don't need to encode to AIFF at all to burn to CD. As your files are in Apple Lossless, use that. If the Burning Preferences for iTunes (under Advanced in Preferences) are set to Audio CD, then iTunes will decompress the files for you before burning them.

ag644

aiff directly from itunes

Post by ag644 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Indeed you're right, Mike1, the most sensible workflow for me is to convert from Flac directly to Apple Lossless, which I can store in iTunes for later burning as AIFF CD's if and when needed. I was just experimenting with converting flac to aiff while I was trying to figure out how to tweak the prefs to make the apple lossless, (which you and others kindly helped me figure out in the previous thread.)