DRM trouble

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Yonzie

DRM trouble

Post by Yonzie » Tue May 02, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm trying to rip "Dido - Life For Rent", but it gets stuck at 80% on track 11 (the last) every time.
Listening to the CD in iTunes, there are audible clicks at 8:18 and 8:27 (track is 10:35), which nicely coincides with two "rings" of seemingly empty track on the back of the disc. I guess this is some kind of DRM measure as it is "advertised" by a sticker on the cover.
I am aware that CDparanoia is somewhat extreme in some circumstances, but even with the amount of retries set at 2 it spent 5-10 minutes (I killed it before it could complete) reading that piece of the CD.
xACT successfully ripped the track, clicks included. Max probably could as well, if I'd had the patience ;-)
I had the same experience with "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home" and "Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor" which incidentally also are "copy protected" and has the same "rings" on the back.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed May 03, 2006 3:55 pm

This is unfortunately a known issue with some discs and cdparanoia- I think it is related to enhanced CDs, although it could be a DRM issue as you mention.

I've just finished the new ripper which should hopefully work for discs like these- I'm planning on releasing a beta within the next week for testing purposes.