WARNING ........MAX loses settings when it crashes

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
herman

WARNING ........MAX loses settings when it crashes

Post by herman » Mon May 01, 2006 12:50 am

Every once in awhile Max will crash. It always does if I don't pay attention and insert a CD with a data or video file on it. This has been discussed previously. It also sometimes does it for no apparent reason. If I rip 40 or 50 CDs in a day it seems it always does it at least a couple of times. I get the message that it has closed unexpectedly. When it does it sometimes loses my settings and reverts to defaults, mp3, etc.

Unless I remember to go in and check every time it crashes I end up ripping discs in the wrong format to the wrong place, etc. Seems simple enough to go in and check but I'm feeding in a bunch of discs everyday while doing other things and it is very easy to forget to check settings.

I just wanted to give everyone a warning to check their settings if MAX closes unexpectedly or locks up your system.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 01, 2006 3:57 am

I would expect that only settings changed since Max was started (or since the last time you successfully quit max) could be lost- this is what I have witnessed during development.

Do you think you are losing more settings than the ones that have been recently changed?

herman

Post by herman » Mon May 01, 2006 4:06 am

Yes, it sometimes reverts back to encoding in mp3 and I have never chosen that option. It also unchecks the boxes to eject the disc and to add encoded files to the iTunes library.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 pm

herman wrote:Yes, it sometimes reverts back to encoding in mp3 and I have never chosen that option. It also unchecks the boxes to eject the disc and to add encoded files to the iTunes library.
hmmm. It sounds like the default settings- for some reason your defaults might have been reset.