Mixed Mode CDs

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:08 am

I've found some more information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_CD
Problems

Sometimes computer CD ripping programs (especially cdparanoia) have problems ripping some enhanced CDs, especially those which have the data after the audio section. These CDs have the data 11400 sectors (2m32s) after the audio, but some CD rippers may try to rip this blank section with the last track; the end result is that the ripper stalls during the last track, or simply errors out. This can be corrected by manually ripping the CD using a command line, although this is nowhere near a total fix.
Interesting. So that explains the 2 minute silence!

l008com

Post by l008com » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Just as a note, I have this problem on all of the enhanced CDs i've tried. Furthermore, it seems to happen even if you turn off error correction all together. Are we SURE its a CD Paranoia issue?

davebarnes

Baby, one more time

Post by davebarnes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:10 am

PART 1 (06APR2006)

I just tried to rip Britney Spear's "...baby one more time" CD.
Copyright 1999. Not marked as "enhanced", but does contain a data track.
Max failed (i.e., froze at 82%) on the penultimate track (i.e., that last music track).

I have two (2) complaints:
1. Why does Max freeze?
2. Why can't I quit Mac after it freezes? This is acutally the more important question.

While I am not happy that Mac freezes, even though EAC does not, I am especially UNHAPPY that I have to reboot my Mac to get Max to quit.

PART 2

Rebooted and tired to rip/encode just the problem track "The Beat Goes On". No luck. Freeze at 82%.
Quit Max does not work.
Force Quit Max from the Dock does not work.
Will be rebooting my machine.

PART 3 (07APR206)

Went to rip/encode Keb' Mo's Slow Down album and (yes, it's a Sony enhanced (but not marked as such) CD) was forced to reboot my Mac.

I accept that Max can not rip/enocde, but why does my Mac OS X system become a brick?

PART 4 (11APR206)

Went to rip/encode Keb' Mo's Just Like You album and (yes, it's a Sony enhanced (but not marked as such) CD) was forced to reboot my Mac.

PART 5 (23APR2006)

Went to rip Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing album. It is a 1997 CD from BMG and it marked as "enhanced" on the back cover. Max completed 9 tracks and then died on the 10th. Forced to reboot my Mac. Used EAC to rip the 10th track.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

JadeNB

More problem CDs

Post by JadeNB » Fri May 12, 2006 10:05 pm

Nick Cave -- Abattoir Blues and Lyre of Orpheus
Garbage -- Bleed Like Me

As others have mentioned, this seems to happen when CDs contain a data track. Max `sees' the data track (and will attempt, with no success, to rip it if you're not careful). Even if you uncheck the data track, Max thinks the last audio track is about 2 minutes longer than it actually is, and will rip successfully at 88%, until it gets stuck and tries (and fails) to read the remaining sectors. The resulting file is encoded with no problems, but contains 2 minutes of silence. (Curiously, VLC will correctly ignore the extra silence, but Cog won't.)

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sat May 13, 2006 1:42 am

JadeNB's remarks are much more useful than mine.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

sbooth
Site Admin

Comparison ripper and enhanced CDs

Post by sbooth » Sat May 13, 2006 6:59 am

Has anyone tried to encode an enhanced CD using the new comparison ripper I've written (in svn currently)? I hope that it will remedy all problems that people have been having, but I still haven't scrounged an enhanced CD for testing.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sat May 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Have not.
Don't know what "svn" is.
Am waiting for beta version of Max.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 16, 2006 5:42 am

I have verified that the enhanced CD problem is fixed in the current svn version of Max! Of course, my sample size so far is one, but I am able to rip the last track of an enhanced CD (Prodigy - Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned) using the new basic and comparison rippers, as well as the legacy paranoia ripper without a hitch.