Mixed Mode CDs

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.

Mixed Mode CDs

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:28 am

Have there been other reports of problems in ripping Mixed Mode CDs? I just found Max and having been using it the last few days. On this particular audio CD that also has a CD-ROM partition, it seems to hang on the last track. Finally, on one of several attempts it was able to complete the task, but there's was over 2 minutes of silence added to the track. Thanks for any help.

F.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:47 am

I have had this problem as well on a few CDs, such as The Crystal Method - Legion of Boom.

-booradley

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:30 am

Yes, I had this problem too.

"Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes" - Propagandhi

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:35 am

With above:

This actually cause me to reset my G5.

It was stuck on the 86% for ages, to I tried to use the 'stop all' button. Nothing happened.So I tried force quiting Max and still nothing.
I closed everything around it, but it remained stuck. I tried killing it with Terminal. It finally closed by itself 10 minutes later, but my CD would not mount, and the CD tray would not open. So I restarted my computer, but it got stuck during the shut down process (with the loading circle). So I waited a few minutes and held down the power button.

Really sucked. And now it's stuck again after I retried. :/

sbooth
Site Admin

ouch!

Post by sbooth » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:36 am

I will try to get a mixed-mode CD so I can investigate this problem. It definitely sounds like an ugly one!

Re: ouch!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:46 pm

sbooth wrote:I will try to get a mixed-mode CD so I can investigate this problem. It definitely sounds like an ugly one!
Thanks!! :)

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:47 am

Original poster here:

Thanks for looking into this. My guess is the ripper is looking or trying to look past whatever marks the end of the partition containing the audio into the data portion. If you have Toast, you can burn a mixed mode CD to test with. Again, thanks.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 am

Anonymous wrote:Original poster here:

Thanks for looking into this. My guess is the ripper is looking or trying to look past whatever marks the end of the partition containing the audio into the data portion. If you have Toast, you can burn a mixed mode CD to test with. Again, thanks.
Me again:

Just looked at Toast's help. There's a distinction between mixed mode CDs and enhanced audio CDs. Enhanced audio is what I should have originally referred to. Sorry and thanks again.

Grey Cell

Post by Grey Cell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm

I've ripped about 50 cd's in the past two days using Max (0.5.1), after being pointed to it by someone on the iLounge forums. I've been having the same problem with every multi-partition cd I've been trying to rip; it always happens 7 seconds (play time) before the end of the last track (don't know if that means anything but since it hadn't been mentioned yet...) Quite annoying because even force quit won't work, the cd drive won't respond anymore and iTunes crashes right along with Max.

Other than that, Max is working like a charm and looks quite promising...

ozean

no issue reported in tracker yet

Post by ozean » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:08 am

sbooth: it seems you haven't been able to catch or reproduce this issue yet, since I don't find it listed in the issue tracker. Nonetheless, this issue has the highest post count in the forum – many of my newer CDs have this issue which makes using Max very problematic.

Either it hangs while ripping the last track (this seems to depend on the drive that I am ripping with) or it takes longer to complete the last track.

However, even more bothersome is the erroneous addition of about two minutes of silence to the last track.

(FYI: the length of the last track is already reported incorrectly after querying FreeDB.)

This is a big issue for me (and others too, it seems) – if you need more information as to what's happening, I would be happy to provide it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Mixed-mode CDs

Post by sbooth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 am

I've had no luck duplicating this problem with the CDs I have used for testing. Can anyone provide me the name of an easily found CD that has this problem for my testing?

Also, I am working on an improved ripper (the goal is to emulate EAC in secure mode) that will hopefully take care of the problem. I am honestly not sure if it can be fixed with the current architecture; once I can duplicate the problem I will know more.

ozean

Post by ozean » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 am

Hmm, that might be difficult. I am in Germany, providing you with a problematic CD would be kind of a hassle.

The last US CD (though I would guess that the German edition might be different) on which I encountered this problem was Avril Lavigne "Let Go", which includes a data track (displayed with the volume name "AUDIO", the content is are two files called AUTORUN.INF and PLAYER.EXE and a folder called PLAYER).

BTW, iTunes reports the track length of the last track correctly and also would rip it correctly (except for those clicks and pops and the wrong encoding options ;) )

Screwtape

Post by Screwtape » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:02 pm

I have also had this exact problem with a CD I bought from Amazon.com recently: there's 17 music tracks and 1 data track (which shows up in the Max track list, bizzarely). If I try to rip the first 17 tracks, it rips 1-16 perfectly, then gets 85% through 17 and just stops.

The Paranoia log shows near-endless retries of the same few sectors. I started ripping in the morning before I left for work, when I came home again it was still going. Eventually, I force-quit Max and just dragged the .aiff file off the CD and onto my desktop, then encoded it manually with Max - it encoded fine, and sounds fine. It just wouldn't rip in Max.

Grey Cell

Post by Grey Cell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Here are some of the ones that gave me this problem:

Lords of Acid -- Farstucker
Afro Celt Sound System -- Vol. 2: Release
Einstürzende Neubauten -- Perpetuum Mobile

There were a few others, but these are the ones that aren't too hard to find.

cluffydog

Post by cluffydog » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:14 am

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - B Sides & Rarities CD-1
Special AKA - In the Studio

These two have the same problem.