More of the same (newbie) problem

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Boris Harss

More of the same (newbie) problem

Post by Boris Harss » Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 am

Hello!

As a few others I also cannot find my files after ripping.... at least not where I expected them.

This is what I set up in preferences:

- Output to be the Desktop (Preferences / Output files)
- Format to be MP3 (MP3/Transparent)
- ripper cdparanoia / full paranoia, neither "single file" nor "cues sheet" selected

However, the files were not to be found anywhere on the desktop or using flashlight... until I read another post in this forum, where it was mentioned to look in /Volumes (for an unrelated problem that I seem not to have). I looked while trying to ripp a disk. Sure enough, there was a folder with my files - in AIFF format. As soon as the ripping process was ended, the folder disappeared. After that, again, no output was to be found. Likely, I saw the mounted CD, which was ejected after the process. In this case, no trace at all of the respective files...

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,
B.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun May 06, 2007 2:34 pm

That is very strange!

Do you see the same behavior if you choose an output folder other than the Desktop?

Boris Harss

Post by Boris Harss » Sun May 06, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the more complete story:

First, I tried to rip with the default setting, the Music directory. That failed, but at this time, I was unsure, if my non-default iTunes settings (Music-Folder elsewhere on an external drive) spooked the program. Only after I had checked the "original" Apple folder and the "custom" folder for the files from my CD to show, I launched the attempt with the desktop, and after that failed, I looked for this news group.

I am sure, it is a stupid setting I am overlooking, but it is very hard to diagnose, when the program does not produce some kind of error message (or success-message) to indicate what goes on.

Any idea how I could systematically check what fails?

Cheers,
B.

PS: PPC Mac Mini, 1.42GHz, 1Gig RAM, external and internal optical drive.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun May 06, 2007 10:41 pm

In preferences, Formats, you should add, from the available output formats, formats to the list of configured output formats and then check the configured output formats you want to use. If you do not check any configured output format, there will be no output.
Maybe you did not check any output format to be used?

(In this case Max does not display an error message, but I think there should be an error message.)

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 am

I had the same problem and went back to find my formats were not checked. Once I added the check all of my rips showed perfectly.

Hope it is as easy as that.

Boris Harss

Post by Boris Harss » Wed May 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Oups - I thought I allready gave a final positive feed-back. I really just did not check the box next to the selected output format! Thanks for the time and answers!