short static bursts - solution?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
cleanSounds

short static bursts - solution?

Post by cleanSounds » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Occasionally, when playing files converted from my original CDs using Max, a short burst of noise will be heard when playing the file. I can describe the sound of the noise as being like a short burst of static or white noise. If I replay the same section the noise will occur at the same point in time of the particular playback. This does not happen on every CD that I convert but it happens enough to be a frustration. I own about 400 discs that I'd like to convert but keep having to redo work because of this problem. Has anyone else encountered this same problem and is there an identifiable solution? I hope someone of the forum can help.

I am creating apple lossless files and am using a mac powerbook (tiBook). Max preferences are set at (1) Enable Error Correction/Full paranoia and Allow Skipping after 100 retries, (2) Apple Lossless m4a with encoder setting Quality: Maximum.

I should add that the above problem has also occurred occasionally with apple lossless conversions I've made using iTunes.

It would be a relief to solve this situation and obtain a better understanding of why this occurs.

I enjoy using Max and it keeps getting better. Thanks in advance!

DownBoy

Re: short static bursts - solution?

Post by DownBoy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:51 am

I've also been having this problem, though in some cases there might be as many as two or three bursts of static in a single track and it seems to happen at least once with most CDs. Had two immediate suspicions: that my rather elderly Mac (MDD Dual 1.25GHz with 2GB RAM) might have been running out of headroom, and that my hard drive might have been too full. Neither seems to be the case.

Using iStat to monitor processor load while ripping suggested that there was still plenty of power in reserve, and switching the working folder to one on an almost empty hard drive made no difference. Switching back to Max 0.7 seemed to give better results, but didn't remove the problem.

The problem seems to arise at the ripping stage rather than encoding: if I encode to two different formats, the static appears at the same point in both.

Any suggestions?

DownBoy

Post by DownBoy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 am

Not certain about this just yet, but it looks as if the bursts of static might have been caused by problems with the directory on my System drive – despite the fact that it wasn't the drive that Max was writing to.

khead

Post by khead » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Have you tried ripping the same CD's just using the basic ripper?

I had a superdrive in my iMac that just was not compatible with CDParanoia. Frequently gave large noise bursts at the end of tracks for no apparent reason. I just gave up on using that drive with Paranoia.

You might just have to go to using a different ripping drive.