Can 2 formats ripped at once be saved in seperate folders?

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Dcislander

Can 2 formats ripped at once be saved in seperate folders?

Post by Dcislander » Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm

I am ripping my CDs in Max as Apple Lossless and MP3s. When each disc rips, both versions of the song (lossless and MP3) are saved to the same folder. Is there anyway to split them out so the MP3s save to one place and the Lossless save to another folder? I do not see an option for that on the Output preference panel.

Thanks for your help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 04, 2007 8:05 pm

You can do this if you use a custom format string, and use the {fileFormat} specifier.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Sat May 05, 2007 1:42 am

Thanks for responding. I did a custom format string with the the {fileFormat} specifier, but it just created titleless tracks in the target folder, track 1 M4a track 1 MP3, track 2 M4a track 2 MP3... I then tries specifying the track # and title but it came up with similar results.

Can the different formats be saved in different target folders so they do not need to be manually seperated?

Thanks again. I appreciate all of your help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat May 05, 2007 3:08 am

Dcislander wrote:Can the different formats be saved in different target folders so they do not need to be manually seperated?
You can, for example if you have a format string similar to

{albumArtist}/{albumTitle}/{fileFormat}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle}

You will get a folder hierarchy similar to what iTunes uses, with subfolders for each format in each album folder.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Sat May 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Thank you for your help. I tried the file string you suggested but the output does not save seperate folders. Instead it saves all of the files loose and titles them like the format

Example when using custom format:
{albumArtist}{albumTitle}{fileFormat}{trackNumber}{trackTitle}:

Instead of a folder called Men at Work with a subfolder called The Best of Men at Work with a song called Who Can It Be Now.mp3

I get individual tracks saved loose in the target folder titled:
Men at WorkContraband_ The Best of Men at WorkMP31Who Can It Be Now_.mp3

I have tried differnt format combos but cannot find the one that saves in folders. What am I missing to have the files save in folders vs loosely as you had explained?

Thanks again.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 pm

The "/" in the string is the folder separator. Did you paste in the string exactly as I entered it? If so, you may have found a bug.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Sat May 05, 2007 3:54 pm

I just ran the rip again this time cutting and pasting the string exactly as written in your post, but it still saves to the target folder as individual tracks ouside of any album or artist specific folders.

Oh well, not too hard to drag and drop. If anyone finds a work around, let me know and I will experiment also.

Thanks for all of the help.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Did you save the string in preferences by hitting return after pasting the string? If not, the string was not saved and thus not used.

Dcislander

Post by Dcislander » Mon May 07, 2007 12:54 am

And that is why you are a genius and I am just a student.
Thanks for all of the 411.

MUCH APPRECIATED!