I ripped some CDs in LAME 3.97 Variable Bitrate ...

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
Post Reply
User avatar
chicken
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

I ripped some CDs in LAME 3.97 Variable Bitrate ...

Post by chicken » Wed May 02, 2007 11:25 am

but one track keeps showing me info that it's only got 96 kbit/s. When I listen to it though it's of the same high quality as the others. Any ideas what that's all about?

thanks.

PS Using Max 0.7.2b

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 pm

That's the nature of VBR- if a track doesn't require as many bits to represent LAME won't use them. If it sounds OK to you I wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
chicken
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Post by chicken » Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm

thanks for the quick reply :D I also failed to mention that the track only has a running time of 8:04 minutes although it gets shown as having a duration of 18:47 minutes.

Image

so there's no way to manually set a minimum bitrate in Max?

another thingy I find interesting is that what iTunes normally shows me about the track info for tracks created with Max:

Image
Encoded with: LAME 3.97

But in the case of this one file:

Image
Encoded with: LAME 3.97 (Max 0.7.2b)

All of my MP3s are ripped as follows:

Image

thanks for your help and for Max :)
Last edited by chicken on Wed May 02, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
chicken
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Post by chicken » Wed May 02, 2007 4:22 pm

I just got my hands on a niffty little application called VBRfix which did in fact fix the MP3 created by Max. It now has a proper running time and it shows up as having 223 kbps VBR.

Image

I'll gladly send you the track as a FLAC file so that you can test it with Max as to why the file always gets a bit messy in Max. Just let me know.

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Wed May 02, 2007 5:17 pm

If you don't mind sending it my way, I will take a look. Max should not generate bad MP3s!

User avatar
chicken
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Post by chicken » Wed May 02, 2007 6:16 pm

you've got a PM :)

hope to hear from you soon! and thanks!

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by sbooth » Wed May 23, 2007 1:36 am

This is strange- if I encode using the default LAME settings for Max, everything comes out perfectly. If I use your settings, I'm able to duplicate the behavior you describe. I get the following error on tagging: "TagLib: TagLib::ID3v2::Header::parse() - One of the size bytes in the id3v2 header was greater than the allowed 128." I assume LAME is writing something it shouldn't be for your combination of settings. I will look into this a little more.

User avatar
chicken
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Post by chicken » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:54 am

I've used my LAME setting in Max from day 1 when I started using Max. It's the first track I've come across which is giving me problems

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests