vbr lame mp3's truncate on ipods

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
titus

vbr lame mp3's truncate on ipods

Post by titus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:02 am

Having encoded about 2000 songs in lame mp3 format with vbr, I then discovered that ipods have an issue with this format. It appears that ipods truncate this format as they are unable to read the correct file length from the header information.

I did find some software called vbrfix (http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.php), but so far have been unable to get it to work.

Is there any way MAX can incorporate the same type of 'fix' to the header info so that ipods can read the file length.
From the Planet Gong they say, and everything goes wrong today...

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Hmmm. I did some googling and found this thread over at HydrogenAudio. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Xing header or the iPod's usage of it.

Do you see this behavior in iTunes as well, or only on iPods?

Can you successfully play the files from start to finish (ie, does the problem only occur when seeking)?

I will see if I can find some more information on this issue.

edit: seeking stuff

titus

Post by titus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:11 pm

hi

thanks for your quick response...

I can play the tracks fine in iTunes, but not it seems on my ipod. The problem is the same whether I've played the track from beginning to end or when seeking.

I had seen the post on HydrogenAudio, but it doesn't seem to find a solution for my issue.

i did find another post that suggests that it is something to do with the Xing header http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/. they seem to have been able to get the VBRfix software to work... unfortunately the Mac version doesn't seem to want to work for me.

hope this helps.
From the Planet Gong they say, and everything goes wrong today...