Help? Howto Log and continue on decode error

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
karlandtanya

Help? Howto Log and continue on decode error

Post by karlandtanya » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:06 am

First, thank you very much for a much more functional app than itunes for converting and ripping.

Max seems to have a great deal better performance at preserving and converting tag info!

I'm trying to convert several hundred .ogg files from my slack box for my wife to use on her mac & ipod.

When using max, I sometimes get .ogg decode errors. When I do, there is a dialog box I must answer before Max will continue.

This is MUCH better than itunes, which simply aborts the batch job on error. However, I would prefer that Max simply log the error and continue. Later, I would review the logs and grep for errors or whatever, then work on those failed songs.

This is the only blocker to unattended conversion that I see.

Thanks again for a great app!

Karl and Tanya

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:54 am

This is a good idea- there could be an option to log errors vs. presenting them. I will add this to the issue tracker. It may not make it into the next release, but it will be in the one after that for sure!

Out of curiousity, what are the errors you are getting?

karlandtanya

Post by karlandtanya » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:54 pm

sbooth wrote:This is a good idea- there could be an option to log errors vs. presenting them. I will add this to the issue tracker. It may not make it into the next release, but it will be in the one after that for sure!

Out of curiousity, what are the errors you are getting?
Just that the .ogg file was corrupt (and it was, apparently). I answered the dialog box each time, then saved and grepped the logfile from Max for the word "stop".

Of about 400 files, 13 of them failed in this manner. I don't remember what the dialog said, except that there was a failure.

oggdec on the slack box reported "hole in data", sometimes more than once, and then continued until conversion was complete. After export to .wav, I copied the files (.wav and .ogg) back to the mac, and converted them one at a time to .m4a.

I used TAG to read the tags from the original .ogg files, and manually entered them in the final .wav files.

All in all, excellent tools you have supplied, and I thank you very much.

karlandtanya

Post by karlandtanya » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:55 pm

karlandtanya wrote:the final .wav files.
D'oh! That should have been "the final .m4a files, as the intermediate .wav files lost tag info."