Problem with flacs created by 0.5.6 on Mac Mini Intel

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
pontus

Problem with flacs created by 0.5.6 on Mac Mini Intel

Post by pontus » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Seems weird noone else is experiencing this. Anyway, I'm using 0.5.6 on an Intel Mac Mini and the FLACs I create are silent. I've tried multiple players (including moving them to my Linux box for playing there). The length is correct though.

This seems to be a problem when using FLAC or OggFLAC and only then, all other formats I've tried have worked OK.

I tried capturing one of the files in /tmp after ripping and compared that to what I got after decoding the FLAC (using the flac binaries from fink). As expected, they are not at all alike. The decoded file seems made up of 0-words mostly, and some ffff words at time. (The output from the ripper is more varied and sounds correct when played.)

(I've tried building 0.5.6 from source with the same result, I have not yet gotten around to building from subversion at that seems to mean I'll have to build all the libraries myself.)

Ideas? Anyone around using an Intel mac that can actually create flacs without losing all the sound information?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Problem with flacs created by 0.5.6 on Mac Mini Intel

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:22 am

pontus wrote:Ideas? Anyone around using an Intel mac that can actually create flacs without losing all the sound information?
I wish I had an Intel Mac myself for testing! If you want to build from svn, I would be happy to send you any of the Frameworks you might need so you won't have to compile the supporting libs from source.

This obviously sounds like an endian issue, but I'm not sure why it didn't arise during testing. You could try changing lines 272-273 of FLACEncoder.m to

Code: Select all

*left++		= *iter++;
*right++	= *iter++;
to remove any byte-swapping but I would think that would remove my Intel "fixes"!

pat

Post by pat » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:49 pm

First of all: Max is great! Definetly shows promise. Neat to have all relevant processes in one package, especially if your goal is ripping your CDs to a lossless format on the mac...

Then again, I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms that pontus describes. I also have an intel mac mini (core duo) running Tiger 10.4.6.

The flacs are silent when I play them w/ foobar2000 on my windows box. I'm fairly new to the mac and am considering switching altogether, like so many nowadays.

Please let me know if I can help you pinpoint the problem. Would it make sense if I uploaded the flac file? If you need someone to execute some code on an intel mac, I'm glad to help as well....

Again, thanks for a great piece of software!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:05 pm

This bug has been fixed in svn- I haven't released a new version incorporating the fix yet (where does the time go?).

Anyway, If you'd like a working copy, I can send you a development build or alternatively you can build Max from source.

As I add non-16-bit audio support, I will definitely need some Intel debuggers!

pat

Post by pat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:05 am

Glad that the issue has been fixed. Yes, I'm interested in the development build. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address. Thanks!

What is svn? A kind of versioning system like CVS?

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:18 pm

pat wrote:What is svn? A kind of versioning system like CVS?
Yep. Instructions for checking out the code through SVN are in the Developers section of Max's web page.

Ankhenaton

Post by Ankhenaton » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:38 am

I have been having the same issues as the original poster. Also, when I tried to convert a whole lot of ALAC's to FLAC for use in FOOBAR on my windows box, I would get encoding errors on almost 1 in 5 songs. The result was that many songs would not convert.

And what made it worse is that I had to babysit the whole project because MAX wouldn't skip the errors, it would wait for me to click "okay" or something like that to continue.

I mean, don't get me wrong here, MAX is a truly awesome app and props to the maker of it.

Hey sbooth, do you have a lossless media player in the works? Particularly one that can compare to FOOBAR?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:13 pm

Ankhenaton wrote:And what made it worse is that I had to babysit the whole project because MAX wouldn't skip the errors, it would wait for me to click "okay" or something like that to continue.
Do you happen to remember the error messages? One feature I am working on adding is logging errors only, vs. alert dialogs.
Ankhenaton wrote:Hey sbooth, do you have a lossless media player in the works? Particularly one that can compare to FOOBAR?
I actually have never used foobar, so I can't say if anything I would write could compare to it :)

As of now, I have no plans for writing a player- I recommend Cog http://cogosx.sourceforge.net as an OS X open source player.

If there is enough interest, a player is not out of the question, but since I am just one person my efforts would be spread even more thinly.

stevvi

Post by stevvi » Thu May 25, 2006 12:26 pm

sbooth wrote:This bug has been fixed in svn- I haven't released a new version incorporating the fix yet (where does the time go?).

Anyway, If you'd like a working copy, I can send you a development build or alternatively you can build Max from source.

As I add non-16-bit audio support, I will definitely need some Intel debuggers!
Hi there, I've experienced the same proplem on my iMac (intel)....is it possible to download the development build somewhere....I really like to use MAX....Many thanks!

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu May 25, 2006 12:58 pm

stevvi wrote:....is it possible to download the development build somewhere....I really like to use MAX....Many thanks!
I have not seen any development builds for download.
But you could install Xcode Tools and build it yourself. Instructions here: http://sbooth.org/Max/#developers