Best settings/preferences for highest quaity

Discuss macOS Audio in general and anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
timm18

Best settings/preferences for highest quaity

Post by timm18 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:38 am

Hi,

I am new to Max and high quality audio ripping in general.
I want to rip my cd collection to apple lossless and store them in itunes.
What settings do I use to get the best quality audio? Could anyone please walk me through the steps as I do not understand what I am doing.
I want to get the highest quality, time is not a factor.
Also, some of my cds are scratched so I would want to use error correction, what are the best settings for this?

thanks,
tim

Fuga

Re: Best settings/preferences for highest quaity

Post by Fuga » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 am

Lossless is lossless. There is no better sounding lossless than another.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 am

Fuga wrote:Lossless is lossless. There is no better sounding lossless than another.
You must be responding to another post as the "lossless" question didn't come up. the post was for help with settings. Why reply if you don't intend to help?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 am

In the original post it is said, "I want to rip my cd collection to apple lossless."

Immediately after that statement is, "What settings do I use to get the best quality audio?"

So again, lossless is lossless.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Fuga wrote:... lossless is lossless.
To be sure, it is.

But I don't think the O.P. was asking about encoding. As I read his post, he was asking about ripping.

I think my answer would be that it probably doesn't matter which ripper you use (Max has three), and what settings you set for the ripper of your choice, so long as your CDs are in good condition. And I'm sure the ripper in iTunes is fine for most purposes, too.

Personally, I tend to use CDParanoia as the ripper, and I go with Max's default settings for CDParanoia. But I don't believe there's any hard evidence that I'm making "the best" choice there. Frankly, I think people should go with their best guess and see if they get acceptable results. That, or wait for Stephen's Rip, which will consult the AccurateRip database, and cross-check what you're getting with what other users have got.

http://sbooth.org/Rip/

But it's probably useless to offer advice at this point even if I had definite advice to venture, which I haven't. I suspect the original poster has gone by now ...

vitaminDUCK

Post by vitaminDUCK » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm

But I don't think the O.P. was asking about encoding. As I read his post, he was asking about ripping.

I think my answer would be that it probably doesn't matter which ripper you use (Max has three), and what settings you set for the ripper of your choice, so long as your CDs are in good condition. And I'm sure the ripper in iTunes is fine for most purposes, too.
I think I have the same question as the original poster, but I might be wrong. I just downloaded Max, installed it, read the "Getting Started" steps in the ReadMe file, opened Preferences, clicked the Formats tab, and was instantly confused by the alternate settings possible with some of the formats available.

For instance, there's AIFF, and also AIFF (Apple/SGI). Then there are four "advanced" settings for Linear PCM -- 16, 24, 32 or 8 big endian signed integer (whatever any of this means is beyond me). I didn't see a format titled "Apple Lossless" per se, but there are two MPEG4 entries, with more checks for quality levels.

I've converted within iTunes (AIFF to AAC, and to Apple Lossless) but have had iTunes freeze and crash so many times that I'm going to try Max -- I just want to know "best practices" for selecting formats that would be congruent with iTunes conversion settings. Max has so many choices, a newbie like me (and the original poster) can be overwhelmed with the decision tree.

I hope someone is lurking on this forum... I'd like to get started with Max as soon as I know what I'm doing. (Well, if I wait until I REALLY know what I'm doing, I'll never get anywhere.)

Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Resuscitating this old thread. I would love to get some input on this as well. I had set my AIFF to 24-bit BigEndian, which, dozens of discs later, appears to have been a big mistake. Ironically, the tracks all play in iTunes just fine, but won't play through my PerfectWave DAC/Bridge.

So, forgetting about "what is lossless," what is the best AIFF setting for accurate ripping, presumably using cdparanoia, regardless of how much or how little disc space is used? Since all my tracks are from Redbook CDs, I presume some 16-bit setting is the right way to go, but which? There are multiple 16 bit settings, just as there are multiple AIFF settings.

Thanks.
You can't win. You can't break even. You can't get out of the game.