Which format for CDs

Discuss macOS Audio in general and anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
redlas

Which format for CDs

Post by redlas » Sat May 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I am confused by sound formats.
I record voices, loud music in pubs (with their permission), wildlife noises, stuff like that, using a Minidisc recorder and Audacity. I now have a Zoom H2 which records a range of formats including WAV and others that I don't understand.

I then try to create a quality CD that will play on any CD player using an Intel MacBook as burner. It doesn't always work.

Audacity allows saving in WAV, Au, Ogg, Vorbis and MP3, the Mac doesn't seem to like anything but the MP3 and will only burn a playable CD using iTunes.
Using the Zoom H2 the file arrives as a WAV file but the Mac then burns a data CD unless I put it though Audacity saved as MP3 or through iTunes.
I believe iTunes creates a kind of MP3.

The resulting CDs also have a very long period of silence - up to 60 seconds -before they start playing.

What am I doing wrong ?

Into which format should I convert this stuff to get a good quality CD that will play on any CD player ?

It was all a lot easier when I had a wind up gramophone and 78's !

Cheers
Redlas

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Which format for CDs

Post by sbooth » Sat May 03, 2008 2:16 pm

What do you use to burn your discs? Burn is a good freeware app that can burn audio CDs from many different audio formats. In your case, I would recommend using WAV as the source since converting to MP3 and then burning to an audio CD is not ideal, as depending on the MP3 encoder and settings audio quality may (will) be lost.

redlas

Post by redlas » Sat May 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Thanks for that. The answer is ' I don't know'. The MacBook does it automatically, I have yet to access a CD burner programme. Put a blank CD in and the m/c lets you drag stuff to it and burns a data CD which, of course, won't play on a CD. Similarly I can drag files into a 'burn folder' but again, it burns data.

I can import files into iTunes where they are converted into I know not what if the original is a WAV or, sometimes, left as MP3 if they started off that way. Then I can 'burn playlist' but in what format I know not. They will play on a CD player but with this very long initial silence.

Will try your suggested Burn. But if that offers a choice of formats, which should I use. ?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Redlas

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 pm

'Burn' can burn Audio CDs from any music file format that is supported by QuickTime. If the files are already in a QuickTime supported format (and thus can be used by Burn), there is no need to convert them to a different format. If the files are in a format that Burn cannot use, converting to a lossless format like WAV (or AIFF or Apple Lossless) will ensure the quality of the original is preserved.

redlas

Post by redlas » Tue May 06, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks to both. Have tried Burn - used a live recording I made in WAV with the Zoom H2 and "it does what it says on the packet" (to quote a current advertising slogan). Interestingly it wouldn't 'OPEN' files on the recorder's SD card but was quite happy with 'drag and drop'. However, whilst the resulting disc played happily on all my older CD players, it would not play on my newish Sony mini hi-fi, the machine said 'no disc'. . Why is this ? Is it fixable?
Cheers
Redlas

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:30 pm

redlas wrote:Thanks for that. The answer is ' I don't know'. The MacBook does it automatically.
Earlier you said you were using iTunes. The settings for for iTunes for burning are under Preferences > Advanced.

Here's a screenshot showing the options. (These will be the default settings -- I haven't changed any settings here.)

As you can see, the default is to burn an audio CD, although it's possible to change that to other options -- an MP3 Cd or a Data CD.

I've hardly used iTunes for this purpose, and I haven't used Burn at all, so I can't comment on how the applications compare.