Trunk issues and regressions

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
krmathis

Trunk issues and regressions

Post by krmathis » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:02 pm

I have found these issues with the later trunk builds:
1. Songs in the playlist don't start when double-clicked. Correction, the first one do play but not the next ones...
2. The next track button ( >| ) don't seem to work correctly. It stay grey most of the time, even if there are a lot more tracks below. Or if it suddenly becomes active it only works for the next two tracks, then go grey again...

And there is still one annoying regression from earlier revisions. The missing progress bar when importing files to the library. When importing large archives that is a bit of a pain, since you never know if its actually hanging or working correctly. :roll:

Great work on the development though. :)

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Trunk issues and regressions

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:20 am

krmathis wrote:I have found these issues with the later trunk builds:
1. Songs in the playlist don't start when double-clicked. Correction, the first one do play but not the next ones...
2. The next track button ( >| ) don't seem to work correctly. It stay grey most of the time, even if there are a lot more tracks below. Or if it suddenly becomes active it only works for the next two tracks, then go grey again...
If you double-click a song in the Play Queue it should always play. Double-clicking a song anywhere will add it to the Play Queue, and play it if the queue is empty.

The same thing goes for the next track button- it only reflects the status of streams in the play queue.

Is this not what you are seeing?
And there is still one annoying regression from earlier revisions. The missing progress bar when importing files to the library. When importing large archives that is a bit of a pain, since you never know if its actually hanging or working correctly.
I'm working on this one.

krmathis

Re: Trunk issues and regressions

Post by krmathis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:42 am

sbooth wrote:If you double-click a song in the Play Queue it should always play. Double-clicking a song anywhere will add it to the Play Queue, and play it if the queue is empty.

The same thing goes for the next track button- it only reflects the status of streams in the play queue.

Is this not what you are seeing?
No, that is not what I am seeing.
If I double-click a track in the Play Queue the song starts to play. But when I double-click any other track in the Play Queue nothing happens. The first song just continues to play on.

Even if I am playing the first of 10 tracks in the Play Queue the next track button are not always active. But sometimes its active (don't understand the pattern), and allow me to go to the next track one ore two times, then go inactive again. Even if there are 7-8 more tracks in the queue...

Using revision 614, with fresh settings.

And there is still one annoying regression from earlier revisions. The missing progress bar when importing files to the library. When importing large archives that is a bit of a pain, since you never know if its actually hanging or working correctly.
I'm working on this one.
Excellent!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:57 am

I'm at a loss for the behavior you're talking about for the play queue, but I've added the progress indicator you requested in r619.

Can you post step-by-step instructions for me to reproduce the strange issue(s) you're having with the queue? I can't get the behavior you're describing.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:23 pm

sbooth wrote:I'm at a loss for the behavior you're talking about for the play queue, but I've added the progress indicator you requested in r619.

Can you post step-by-step instructions for me to reproduce the strange issue(s) you're having with the queue? I can't get the behavior you're describing.
I can reproduce this every single time, using these steps:
1. Add some audio files to the Play queue (ex. 10 MP3 or ALAC files).
2. Double click the first track in the Play window. This track will start to play.
3. Double click the next track (or any of the other ones). Nothing happens! The first track just continue to play.

Then how to reproduce the inactive next track button.
2. Select the first track in the Play window (SINGLE click).
3. Press the play button. The next track button stay inactive, even if there are lots of tracks waiting in the queue.
See picture -> http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9261/picture2my7.png
4. If I double-click the playing track the next track button becomes active.

Prior to both of these tests I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/org.sbooth.Play.plist and ~/Library/Application Support/Play/.
Using revision 619 this time (your build)...

Hope this can be of any help.

By the way. I don't see the new progress indicator either, but that might be something on my side. I don't know.

Edit:
I am running Mac OS 10.4.9 on PowerPC, if that matters.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:12 am

krmathis wrote:I can reproduce this every single time, using these steps:
2. Double click the first track in the Play window. This track will start to play.
3. Double click the next track (or any of the other ones). Nothing happens! The first track just continue to play.
How are you adding the files to the Play queue? Also, are you switching to the Play queue
before double-clicking the track?

If you follow these steps and they don't work something is wrong:
1. Run Play, add files to the Library as necessary
2. With the Library selected in the browser, highlight the files to add to the Queue, right-click them, and then select "Add to Play Queue".
3. Switch to the play queue using the browser.
4. Verify that any double-clicked track is played.
Then how to reproduce the inactive next track button.
2. Select the first track in the Play window (SINGLE click).
3. Press the play button. The next track button stay inactive, even if there are lots of tracks waiting in the queue.
See picture -> http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9261/picture2my7.png
4. If I double-click the playing track the next track button becomes active.
I am not able to reproduce this either. Are you switching to the Play Queue before step #2?
By the way. I don't see the new progress indicator either, but that might be something on my side. I don't know.
When you add files to the library using the 'Add to Library' menu command you don't see a progress indicator after the open dialog sheet is dismissed?

I realize I may have overlooked the sheet for files dragged to the window, which I will fix.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:03 pm

sbooth wrote:How are you adding the files to the Play queue? Also, are you switching to the Play queue
before double-clicking the track?
Now I understand. There is a difference between Library and Queue...
The "Browser" panel don't show up by default, so I have actually never seen it. ;)

I simply drag and drop audio files or a folder containing audio files to the Play window, where they show up. Then I double-click any of the tracks and expect them to play. Just like they have done previously!
Thats how any other audio player on Mac OS X works (iTunes, Cog, etc...).

It works (both play and the next track button) when I add the files to the Play Queue, switch to the Play Queue and play from there. Following these instructions:
If you follow these steps and they don't work something is wrong:
1. Run Play, add files to the Library as necessary
2. With the Library selected in the browser, highlight the files to add to the Queue, right-click them, and then select "Add to Play Queue".
3. Switch to the play queue using the browser.
4. Verify that any double-clicked track is played.
When you add files to the library using the 'Add to Library' menu command you don't see a progress indicator after the open dialog sheet is dismissed?

I realize I may have overlooked the sheet for files dragged to the window, which I will fix.
Using drag and drop.
Which might be fixed now. ...off to try!

Edit: not fixed yet, but am sure you are on it. Thanks!

Paul Gotch

Post by Paul Gotch » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:42 pm

krmathis wrote: Now I understand. There is a difference between Library and Queue...
The "Browser" panel don't show up by default, so I have actually never seen it. ;)
So is this an arguement for splitting the Play window such that you have both the Play Queue and the currently search on the library visible at once?

Having an essential part of the UI in a draw is a bit confusing.

By the way if you try to play a file which is in the library but does not currently exist (perhaps because the volume isn't mounted) Play crashes (using freshly downloaded 619). Perhaps there could be a UI indication of if a file is currently available and a dialog box telling you which volume you need to mount if you attempt to play a file which doesn't exist.