Play Queue: Do you like it?

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.

Do you like the play queue?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:27 am

krmathis wrote:Why not make the Play Queue an additional feature?
Meaning that you add files to the queue in other ways than double-click (its already in the context menu), and use it if you like. Then restore playing and display capability to the Library, identical to the ones we now find in the Play Queue.

That way there are a Play Queue for those who want one, and a regular drag-drop-play for those of use who want it simple... :)
That is what I meant when I wrote in this:
RonaldPR wrote:I am writing down my thoughts while they come, I hope you do not mind.

- Simple double clicking a track should always start playing that track.
- Selecting a track and clicking the play button should always play that last selected track.

- Adding a selection to the queue using the File menu or the contextual menu is OK. That way one is consciously using this option.
- Maybe double clicking while holding a modifier key could be made to add to the queue.

- The track that is being played should be displayed bold in all list views, not only in the Play Queue.
- Skipping to the next or previous track should be to the next or previous track as shown in the list that is displayed in the window, not to an unknown track in an invisible play queue list.

- There should be an more obvious way to view the play queue list. Maybe a button "Show/Hide Play Queue"?

- Just playing a track from outside the play queue should not add it to the queue. If there is a play queue, playing from the queue can be started or resumed afterwards.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Again another approach, a split window.

In topic "Trunk issues and regressions", Paul Gotch suggested a split window. Maybe that is the solution. By always having both Library (or part of it as chosen in the browser) and Play Queue in view together, the user can see and understand what happens and how Play works with the Play Queue:

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:54 am

And some ideas about the functionality of a split window:

Double clicking in the lower (Library) part will add a track to the upper (Queue) part of the window.
Double clicking in the upper (Queue) part of the window will play the track.

Dragging files into the lower (Library) part of the window will add the tracks to the Library.
Dragging files into the upper (Queue) part of the window will add the tracks to both Library and Queue.
Dragging a track from the lower (Library) part of the window into the upper (Queue) part of the window will add that track to the Queue.

Searching works in the part that is selected (has focus).

The items in the browser drawer could stay as they are. Selecting an item would also select the related half of the split window. Similarly, the existing menu items and keyboard shortcuts that are now used to reveal either the Queue view or the Library view can be used to direct the focus to the related half of the window.

In fact, everything would thus be much the same as it is now. Different will be that the Queue view and the Library view are visible together in the split window and dragging can add tracks to the Queue.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:26 pm

It's funny that you posted all this, because after I read Paul Gotch's post yesterday I immediately started working on a split-window Play to see how it would look. Hopefully tonight I will have a new unstable version to upload for testing and further feedback.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:36 am

As much as I liked the concept of the Play Queue, I had trouble with the UI. Always forgetting which function was focussed, double-clicking behaving different than expected etc.

I like this split window actually! Let's how it works out... :)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:31 pm

I'll be gone for the next week, so updates will be sparse. I'll try to get a working split-window version posted ASAP.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 pm

The split window between Library and Queue seems like nice. I am looking forward to see how it will function.

I will hopefully be able to use it this way:
1. Drag the separator all the way to the bottom, so its showing the Queue only.
2. Drag audio files or folders to the Queue directly from Finder.
3. Play any file I want.
4. Restart Play and come back to the exact same Queue that I left.

Remain

Post by Remain » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:09 pm

^-- I had almost exactly the same thoughts. (Freaky.)

RonaldPR

Revision r632 and Play Queue

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Revision r632

First impression: Much, much better interface to the Play Queue. Three ways to fill the play queue with a selection from the library: by dragging, or by using the contextual menu or by hitting command-+.

Maybe there should be a one-step way to clear the Play Queue, now I need to select all and then delete.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Revision r632 and Play Queue

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:29 pm

RonaldPR wrote:Maybe there should be a one-step way to clear the Play Queue, now I need to select all and then delete.
I've added this in r638, along with an icon for the now playing track and smaller font sizes in the tables.

Remain

Post by Remain » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:17 am

I find that it's not very clear what each list is, especially if it's the first time the user is using Play.

Only through trial and error can it be determined
that the upper list is the Play Queue
and the lower one is whatever is selected in the Browser.

Perhaps there could be a way to explicitly identify each list?

Due to my lack of imagination,
all I can think of is to put "Play Queue" and "Library" (or what's currently selected in the Browser) on top of each list. =\

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:08 am

Remain wrote:I find that it's not very clear what each list is, especially if it's the first time the user is using Play.
I agree completely. I've been mulling this over since creating the split-window interface, but haven't yet figured out a good way to make the purpose of each tabe obvious without eating up too much window real estate.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:12 am

sbooth wrote:
Remain wrote:I find that it's not very clear what each list is, especially if it's the first time the user is using Play.
I agree completely. I've been mulling this over since creating the split-window interface, but haven't yet figured out a good way to make the purpose of each tabe obvious without eating up too much window real estate.
Maybe, until a better solution comes up:
Replace the label "Title" by "Queue: Title" and "Library: Title" respectively? Doesn't look very nice though.

A different solution could be that when a list is empty, the top title field (where otherwise the title of the first track in the list would be) would display "Queue List" and "Library List" respectively.
Edit: Then this "Queue List" and "Library List" in bold and grey text. Hm, I would like that as a solution. :)

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 am

Another GUI feature request for the Play Queue:
One can drag tracks from the library list into the play queue list, one can drag tracks inside the play queue list to change the order, it would be nice if one can also remove tracks from the play queue by dragging them out of the window.