Feedback for Play-r472

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
sbooth
Site Admin

Feedback for Play-r472

Post by sbooth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:36 pm

I've just posted r472 which adds full (static) playlist support, and makes explicit Play's concept of "Current Streams".

Basically, whenever you double click a file (or press return on a selection) the streams displayed in the window are copied, verbatim, the the "Current Streams". All playback occurs from the current streams, which can be reordered, removed, and added to like a playlist. This leaves one free to browse the library, playlists, or whatever while not affecting the current playback setup.

Any feedback on this version would be appreciated.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Just a few quick things:

* You've certainly hidden this version on your site ;)
* It would only work after I manually trashed the previous sqlite playlist, otherwise no window would open and nothing could be played
* It doesn't display metadata, at least not for MP3, FLAC and M4A. It does play the files though

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:47 am

Maurits wrote:Just a few quick things:

* You've certainly hidden this version on your site ;)
* It would only work after I manually trashed the previous sqlite playlist, otherwise no window would open and nothing could be played
* It doesn't display metadata, at least not for MP3, FLAC and M4A. It does play the files though
No metadata? That is very strange. I'm able to read and set metadata on all the file types you describe- I wonder why it's not working for you? Play uses the same frameworks as Max, so if you're able to read and set metadata using Max it should work in Play as well.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am

You're right, it was strange and probably something on my end. I've trashed everything Play-related and reinstalled, it works now.

You may want to make sure Play purges settings and libraries from older versions though (at least in the alpha stage), given this and the other problem I had.

mdewakanton

Post by mdewakanton » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Well, I'm actually testing r475 (you're too quick!). Metadata are shown correctly even before trashing files from previous Play installation. Only artwork isn't displayed, but I don't remember if Play supports it yet.

On quitting it doesn't ask anymore if I want to save the current playlist, is this fine?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:59 am

mdewakanton wrote:Well, I'm actually testing r475 (you're too quick!). Metadata are shown correctly even before trashing files from previous Play installation. Only artwork isn't displayed, but I don't remember if Play supports it yet.
Artwork support is currently missing, because I want to implement some sort of an album art browser.
On quitting it doesn't ask anymore if I want to save the current playlist, is this fine?
Yes, this is fine. Play is more like iTunes now in that in manages a Library of audio, which is automatically updates as things occur.

mdewakanton

Post by mdewakanton » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:23 am

^^ Thanks. I had too a problem with "Fast Forward to the end" function: sometimes, when you click, the cursor gets to the end of the song, then the app hangs a little bit and plays again the same song. It appears to happen sort of random though (I mean, even playing the same playlist, sometimes works fine sometimes doesn't).

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 pm

I actually worked on this last night, and the fast forward to end has been fixed. I will most likely post another build this evening with the fixes.

What about impressions on speed? Usability? The current streams functionality?

mdewakanton

Post by mdewakanton » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Overall it works much better than the build I was using before (I think I still was running r254), either speed, usability amd current streams functionality. I noticed an improvement even in skipping here and there in a song, clicking on the cursor: in previous version (just like in Cog latest build) you were likely to get glitches even in next songs and had to quit and relaunch the app. Now this seems to work much better.

Maurits

Post by Maurits » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:36 am

Play used to have occasional responsiveness issues with 'beachballs' for a few seconds when switching too fast between tracks. These have disappeared or at least they are considerably less frequent. I've got a feeling it is due to switching from Core-Data to SQLLite because they got less around that transition.

It took a while before I understood what you meant with streams but I think I get it now. It certainly is an improvement, as is the 'static' playlist.

A minor thing I miss much at this time is the ability to loop a single track instead of the whole playlist (although I believe the latter is not working now either). Maybe a three way toggle would be suited here. Loop off/all/one.
Another small issue is opening a file from the context menu (right click) while playing something else. It stops playback of the active song and erases the whole active playlist, maybe an 'enqueue as default action' would be friendlier.

Overall I'm quite pleased with it already. Although I know it is not the objective I think you've just overtaken Cog.

I've got some other suggestions and things on my wish list but those are for later, I'll post them in the ticket system as low-prio enhancements.

Paul Gotch

Re: Feedback for Play-r472

Post by Paul Gotch » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:45 am

sbooth wrote:I've just posted r472 which adds full (static) playlist support,
Any feedback on this version would be appreciated.
In no particular order, and please don't take this a criticism as Play is way better than the first builds I tried

* Can there be a progress bar when adding data to the library rather than just beach balling? Play now copes with adding 3000 AAC files to the library in a reasonable amount of time but it takes long enough to do that a progress bar is needed.

* Search only works if you have the library selected in the browser, in other cases it either doesn't work or does odd things.

* Can there be auto search on typing if you have something selected in the Artists or Album folders in the browser.

* Please can double clicking only add the file you clicked on to the "Current Streams" . Adding everything resulting from the search can be put on a modifier key. If you want to add an entire album then it should be done by double clicking on the Album name in the browser.

* On the subject of current streams can it be made configurable if double clicking replaces or appends to the current streams. And put the inverse setting on a modifier key. I prefer the appends behaviour but I'm sure there are both kinds of people out there.

* Could it be possible to add user defined "smart" folders to the browser ie you add a folder and give it a query to use to fill the folder. This could be a simple query like used for the search box or something more complicated for advanced users.

* Play doesn't seem to automatically advance to the next track when a track ends at the moment.

* If the user hits artist or album name in the browser the search in the main window still filters, this search needs to be cleared so the obvious behaviour of seeing everything by that artist or all the tracks of that album happens.

Paul Gotch

Re: Feedback for Play-r472

Post by Paul Gotch » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 am

Paul Gotch wrote: In no particular order, and please don't take this a criticism as Play is way better than the first builds I tried
At risk of replying to myself..

* Could there also be some indication of the column sort order. For example it took me while to realise that to get back to a "default" order I'd first have to toggle sort by track number then toggle sort by album and finally toggle sort by artist. What would be very useful would be to add a number each column header to indicate what order the sorts are being applied in as well as the direction arrow.