My first impressions

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
Screwtape

My first impressions

Post by Screwtape » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:00 am

Yes, another first impressions topic! I'm using revision 180, downloaded from the sbooth.org page, for reference.

First thing I did after starting it up was to create a 'folder playlist' and pointed it at my iTunes Music folder (27GB, about 9000 items). Play immediately froze and my disk-drive started going nuts trying to scan the directory and load all those files. In fact, it's still going - I haven't managed to actually play any music with Play yet. It might be an idea to have 'populate database' run in the background somehow. :(

I think the playlist window looks a bit clunky, but I assume that's just because Play is in development - after all, Max looks pretty sexy, so I imagine sbooth will polish up Play quite nicely. :)

A while ago while playing with iTunes, I had an idea about how playlists should work in an ideal world... a few days later, a new version of iTunes came out with "Party Shuffle" mode which was pretty much exactly what I wanted. The main problem I have with 'Party Shuffle' mode at the moment is that it doesn't respect the iTunes "Shuffle by album" preference - it always shuffles by song. From what I've read in the other First Impressions thread, it sounds like Play will wind up with a very similar scheme as well - I just wanted to remind people of 'shuffle by album' mode early on. :)

I can write about playlists in more detail if you'd like extra ideas. :)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:56 am

Play has some performance issues when adding files, which I am working on. I'm still in the process of figuring out multithreading with Core Data. Also, folder playlists have performance issues in general. I wouldn't point a folder playlist at a directory that contained more than 100 files or so for now.

Screwtape

Post by Screwtape » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:01 am

Very well, then.

It's still going, so I'll force-quit it.