Is there ever going to be a new verion of Play?

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
stamfar

Is there ever going to be a new verion of Play?

Post by stamfar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm asking this as I like Play and it's the only playlist centric player on mac, at least the only decent one I know of,
but for now I'm mostly using Songbird, as it's finally starting to get into shape while Play is getting a bit long in the tooth.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Is there ever going to be a new verion of Play?

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Check out http://sbooth.org/AyreWave/ . It's the logical successor to Play and the reason why I haven't had time to work on Play during the last year.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Hot damn! So very good to see something new. I'll play with it later, but wanted to now let you know that just starting AyreWave breaks my Bluetooth headphone connection. No matter what app I have something playing on, as soon as I start AyreWave the headphones quit. Once I Quit AyreWave I can re-establish the connection.

Motorola MotoRokr S305 headphones

2.4 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
4 GB RAM
OS X 10.6.5

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Fuga wrote:Hot damn! So very good to see something new. I'll play with it later, but wanted to now let you know that just starting AyreWave breaks my Bluetooth headphone connection. No matter what app I have something playing on, as soon as I start AyreWave the headphones quit. Once I Quit AyreWave I can re-establish the connection.
This is because AyreWave takes hog mode by default. If you go into the preferences and uncheck "Obtain exclusive access" everything should work as normal.

randian

Post by randian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm

sbooth wrote:Check out http://sbooth.org/AyreWave/ . It's the logical successor to Play and the reason why I haven't had time to work on Play during the last year.
I don't see AyreWave mentioned anywhere on sbooth.org other than that link, nor does it have a subforum here. Perhaps some housekeeping is in order?

Does AyreWave, being an audiophile player, handle detection and decoding of HDCD?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 am

sbooth wrote:
Fuga wrote:Hot damn! So very good to see something new. I'll play with it later, but wanted to now let you know that just starting AyreWave breaks my Bluetooth headphone connection. No matter what app I have something playing on, as soon as I start AyreWave the headphones quit. Once I Quit AyreWave I can re-establish the connection.
This is because AyreWave takes hog mode by default. If you go into the preferences and uncheck "Obtain exclusive access" everything should work as normal.
Yep, found that.

I know it's "beta" and surely you're aware of such, but I am writing to say on my system (see above specs) I am seeing the following:
1) unable to expand the window horizontally beyond approximately 6 inches.
2) RealMemory used = 53 MB and VM=25. Playing the same set of files under the same circumstances using Cog sees RM=35 MB and VR=38. I had not yet implemented the "load into memory" feature.
3) When I was messing with the audio output stuff I at one point had cause to force quit. Unfortunately there was some process still going that was not readily recognized in Activity Monitor so I could not gracefully logout or restart. I had to do a hard reboot. Might you want me to send Console reports?

I look forward to testing the "load into memory" function as my network is not crazy about my external drives(USB 2) when I'm playing to my Hi-Fi system.

Thanks for the work,
f

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:49 am

randian wrote:I don't see AyreWave mentioned anywhere on sbooth.org other than that link, nor does it have a subforum here. Perhaps some housekeeping is in order?

Does AyreWave, being an audiophile player, handle detection and decoding of HDCD?
The lack of a forum and link is somewhat intentional. I haven't decided on a support venue yet.

Right now AyreWave does not support HDCD decoding of 16-bit PCM streams. I believe there are patent issues surrounding the decoding, and I don't have any files for testing or development.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm

sbooth wrote:Check out http://sbooth.org/AyreWave/ . It's the logical successor to Play and the reason why I haven't had time to work on Play during the last year.
AyreWave works very good for me. All I miss is the support of DSP with thirdparty AU Plugins (e. g. http://www.voxengo.com).
With this additional function it would be the perfect player for my requirements.
Alberto

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Is AyreWave Intel only? I see on the webpage it requires at least OS X 10.5 but on my G4 AW says it does not play nice with "this architecture." I so wanted to try the load into memory feature as that iMac has 2 GB RAM but the external drive attached to it is a crappy USB2. Even when hard-wired to the home network and likewise to the Hi-Fi playback has heretofore been choppy. I had hoped the load/memory would be the answer.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 am

Fuga wrote:Is AyreWave Intel only? I see on the webpage it requires at least OS X 10.5 but on my G4 AW says it does not play nice with "this architecture." I so wanted to try the load into memory feature as that iMac has 2 GB RAM but the external drive attached to it is a crappy USB2. Even when hard-wired to the home network and likewise to the Hi-Fi playback has heretofore been choppy. I had hoped the load/memory would be the answer.
Yes, AyreWave is Intel only. I never quite got PPC64 support working, sadly, but in any case I use a bunch of calls that are only available on i386/x86_64/ppc64.

randian

Post by randian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 am

sbooth wrote:I never quite got PPC64 support working, sadly, but in any case I use a bunch of calls that are only available on i386/x86_64/ppc64.
So it works on both 32- and 64-bit x86, but not 64-bit PPC? The obvious conclusion is you have an endianness bug in your code.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 am

sbooth wrote:
Fuga wrote:Is AyreWave Intel only? I see on the webpage it requires at least OS X 10.5 but on my G4 AW says it does not play nice with "this architecture." I so wanted to try the load into memory feature as that iMac has 2 GB RAM but the external drive attached to it is a crappy USB2. Even when hard-wired to the home network and likewise to the Hi-Fi playback has heretofore been choppy. I had hoped the load/memory would be the answer.
Yes, AyreWave is Intel only. I never quite got PPC64 support working, sadly, but in any case I use a bunch of calls that are only available on i386/x86_64/ppc64.
:(

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 am

randian wrote:
sbooth wrote:I never quite got PPC64 support working, sadly, but in any case I use a bunch of calls that are only available on i386/x86_64/ppc64.
So it works on both 32- and 64-bit x86, but not 64-bit PPC? The obvious conclusion is you have an endianness bug in your code.
If true and a bug fix is possible ...

:hope:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Fuga wrote:
randian wrote:
If true and a bug fix is possible ...

:hope:
Yes, I believe there is a bug somewhere in SFBAudioEngine (the underlying open-source framework I use for playback) related to ppc64. However, the application itself will be Intel only because it requires 10.6 and above.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 am

Heh. Coulda sworn the page just said Leopard.