AIFF tagging

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
sbooth
Site Admin

AIFF tagging

Post by sbooth » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 am

I've just committed changes in bzr that allow Play to read and write metadata from AIFF files. I will try to release a new unstable version for testing soon.

stamfar

Re: AIFF tagging

Post by stamfar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 pm

Yay!
Great, new version soon :D

CG

Post by CG » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:19 pm

The new version is truly marvelous. Thank you so very much!

Play audibly sounds *so* much better than iTunes...

Some time it would be great if there was a column option to display sample rate. Then we could reset the DAC sample rate through Audio Midi set-up prior to playing the track.

Is there some sort of setting in Objective C for the Core Audio framework that determines the playback quality??

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:04 pm

The sample rate column would not be too difficult to add- this is something I can do for the next release.

I don't believe there is generic access to audio output properties (ie playback quality, etc). In my experiments for the AUHal you can only set properties on the input, not output. For a known, specific device I'm sure you could tweak settings but I haven't tried.

CG

Post by CG » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:18 pm

I was thinking along the lines of the quality "control" used in the various CoreAudio re-sampling routines. (For others reading this, "bats" is the highest quality level with a variable scale associated with it.)

Everybody's still speculating on what Amarra does. You're already taking the least intrusive approach. What else can there be?