We need a Play iphone app!!

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
rydenfan

We need a Play iphone app!!

Post by rydenfan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:21 pm

I am comtimplating moving away from my Transporter/Squeezecenter front end and to a Mac Mini feeding a high end DAC. Right now I use iPeng which is an app that controls my squeezecenter via wifi on my iphone, and it is amazing! I would love to see a Play app :D
I would prefer to use Play over itunes (even though they have an app) as I also use Max and Tag. Also, itunes has an annoying bug where I have to shut it down everytime I want to switch resolutions. So if I have been listening to 16/44.1 files and I want to listen to a 24/96 track then I have to close down itunes and re-open it. I am assuming I would not have to do this with Play? I really hope a Play app can be created.

Mike1

Re: We need a Play iphone app!!

Post by Mike1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I wonder if Apple will add ogg vorbis support to Safari at some point. And here I'm thinking of the iPhone in particular.

Now Firefox 3.1 apparently has native support via the HTML5 <audio> tag:

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/07/nati ... irefox-31/

I can see Wikipedia, for example, making use of that. They might not since IE (which most visitors will be using) won't presumably add many HTML5 capabilities for a long while yet. Wikipedia is, however, already using the vorbis format, even though most visitors won't have the audio software to play vorbis downloads pre-installed.

So, I suppose, sites like that might use the HTML5 tag so that you could listen easily in the browser with Firefox (or anything else that implements it). You could do that on any desktop platform, since Firefox comes for anything. But what would you do in an iPhone? It seems Apple's wary of ogg vorbis for a number of reasons:

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatw ... 10392.html

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 pm

Just to clarify that you're asking for- a front end to Play for the iPhone?

rydenfan

Post by rydenfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:32 am

sbooth wrote:Just to clarify that you're asking for- a front end to Play for the iPhone?

What I am looking for is an app to act as a remote control for Play that would be running on my Mac Mini. Apple has an app called Remote that controls your itunes. I want to be able to see my album library, album art, etc. and be able to select what is playing on the Mini from my phone. Also take a look at the app iPeng, it is what I use now to control Squeezecenter. I believe this would make Play much more popular among people in my same situation.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:48 am

It almost seems that if Play was UPnP compatible, a generic UPnP front end would do the trick. I don't have the time for such radical modifications right now, though.