Is play Dead?

Discuss the development and future direction of Play.
stamfar

Is play Dead?

Post by stamfar » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 am

I've been wondering about the future of Play for a while now..-
I have been using it for over a year now, and I quite like it and I like the "Foobar-ish" concept.
It has it's share of quirks and bugs, but I've always thought that this would work it's self out as Play progressed and became more mature.
Now seeing that the last stable version is from Dec 2007 and the last unstable is Feb 2008,
I have started to wonder about the future plans for play..
Even though it seems other good audio players are coming to osx in the near future (Songbird is actually starting to get somewhere and Amarok 2 when it's released),
there isn't any other app that is similar to Play on osx (well there is Cog, but i find it too basic).
I would love to have Play around in the future as well, I'm looking currently looking into other options,
but none of them behave like I want them to, and Play does.. It just needs more work..

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Is play Dead?

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Play is not dead! I have been focusing all my coding efforts on a new app that should be entering public beta in October. Once that is semi-complete, I will have time to work on Play.

xtrgt

Post by xtrgt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 am

i hope play is not dead.. i'm playing music off of vmware and imagine that... in a virtual box, in winders.. sounds better than quicktime !

stamfar

Post by stamfar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Great to know Play is not dead, and that development will soon be back on track!

dkagedal

Post by dkagedal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:42 pm

sbooth wrote:Play is not dead! I have been focusing all my coding efforts on a new app that should be entering public beta in October. Once that is semi-complete, I will have time to work on Play.
October came and went. Any news here?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Well, Rip is in private beta testing right now. I'm still working on it, and Play. My current work with Play is trying to find out why 192 KHz audio doesn't play correctly.

dkagedal

Post by dkagedal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Great to hear!